12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Diez
With only a few days to go until Cinco de Mayo, we are sure you have a pretty good idea of what you are going to make by now. So what delicacies have you decided on? Are you going to go the classic route and prepare tacos, fajitas or enchiladas, or are you in the mood for rustling up some tamales or a 7-layer Mexican salad perhaps? And what about dessert? Some people like to choose various make-ahead desserts to make, then get everything prepared in advance so they can simply serve them whenever they are ready.
Other people might like to make a hot dessert like fried bananas or fried ice cream, something they can make just before serving. The more people you are having over for your Cinco de Mayo event, the more dishes you will want to make, but if there are lots of folks coming over, why not get everyone to bring some potluck dishes? Then you will be able to make whichever south of the borders you like, plus end up with a few surprises too! You can specify whether you want people to bring appetizers, desserts or just whatever they want.
Today we are going to be looking at shrimp avocado cocktails, but not the kind you might remember fondly from 1970s dinner parties! The south of the border take on a shrimp cocktail includes typical Mexican ingredients like lime juice, avocado, hot sauce, and cilantro, along with shrimp, tomato juice and red onion, so you can expect a wealth of color and flavor. This makes a tasty appetizer or lunch, as you prefer, and you can use fresh shrimp if you can get them, or even thawed ones if you can only get those, but ensure they are well drained before use.
Mexican cooks tend to use whatever is fresh and locally produced or caught, which is why coastal regions specialize in seafood and fish dishes and inland towns and cities have more meat and poultry recipes. Of course they also like to use fresh fruit and vegetables, and combining the best meat and seafood with the freshest fruit and vegetables means you can prepare the most exquisite south of the border dishes, especially when typical flavorings are used, such as cilantro, lime juice, chilies, and garlic in savory dishes, or cinnamon, vanilla and chocolate in sweet ones.
Cinco de Mayo 2016!
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119408 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117396 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63217 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45765 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34626 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30375 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18954 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17663 Views)