12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Dos
The countdown to Cinco de Mayo has just began, and we are on day 2 already, which means the ice cold cerveza con limon has gone down already and we are turning our mind to savory fare. After all, what is a party without some savory foods, and what is better during Cinco de Mayo than whipping up some authentic Mexican delights in the kitchen for everyone to enjoy? Day 2 of our countdown brings us a recipe for stuffed burritos, a staple Mexican food, and something you can tweak to make your own, choosing your own fillings, toppings and flavors every time.
Like many other Mexican recipes, the burrito is a tortilla-wrapped dish, and there are many ways to make it, including some incredible easy burrito recipes you might want to try out for Cinco de Mayo or simply because you want to rustle up some Mexican food. The word burrito translates to mean little donkey. It is made by wrapping a wheat flour tortilla around your filling of choice. Although a burrito is similar in some ways to a taco (the Mexican version, not the crispy Tex-Mex one), tacos are served open while burritos are rolled up to completely enclose the contents.
Burritos south of the border tend to feature meat with refried beans, although in the United States they might include rice, beans, salad ingredients, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and/or cheese. The first recipe is the most traditional in Mexico of course, but there are plenty of variations including the burrito suiza, literally ‘Swiss burrito’ – so named for the cream served on top which is inspired by Swiss cuisine. Chicken is a popular burrito filling if you do not want to use beef, or you can consider another kind of meat, or even fish or seafood, along with any other ingredients you want to have.
Ciudad Juárez, a city in Chihuahua, Northern Mexico, is famous for burritos, selling them at roadside stands and restaurants. These small, thin snacks come with meat or fish, along with rice, potatoes, beans, chilies, and Asadero cheese. Mole or refried beans might also feature in the Northern Mexican version of this dish, and they can be enjoyed for any meal. Day 2 of our Cinco de Mayo countdown is the perfect time to consider your own burrito recipes. Create these easy snacks for the family, present them with your favorite Mexican condiments and side dishes, then just wait for the compliments to come rolling in!
Cinco de Mayo 2016!
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119454 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117444 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63256 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45797 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34661 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30401 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24140 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23458 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18984 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17718 Views)