12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Once
Despite the misunderstanding that Mexican food is always high in both fat and calories, the truth is a lot of the dishes are very healthy, and the reason for this is how fresh produce is often the main part of a meal. Whether that is a trio of vegetable side dishes, some homemade pico de gallo ladled generously over grilled lean fish, a tasty salad made with fresh ingredients, or even tortillas stuffed with something tasty, there are plenty of diet-friendly Mexican recipes to choose from. There are no set recipes for Cinco de Mayo so you can choose anything.
Dairy, such as cheese and cream, is used plentifully in Tex-Mex cuisine but much less in Mexican recipes. This is a common misconception about authentic south of the border cuisine, and it is hardly surprising when so many people assume what you get served in Taco Bell is the same as what a Mexican family would be preparing for their evening meal! Take inspiration from the way Mexican cooks eat by visiting the local market and finding out what is in season, then you can plan your whole meal around this delicious locally farmed produce.
Once you get into the habit of cooking in this way, you will find you naturally gravitate more toward available fresh produce and think of tasty meals to build around them, rather than simply finding a recipe and then trying to find everything on the ingredients list. You can also get creative and tweak existing recipes. Perhaps you cannot find tomatillo, for example. In most recipes, you can simply use tomato instead. Perhaps you do not like one of the layers in a seven-layer Mexican salad, in which case simply substitute something else, and make it your own.
On our Cinco de Mayo countdown menu today we have chicken taquitos, a very flavorful Mexican recipe made by filling tortillas with a spicy chicken mixture and frying them. You could also spritz them with cooking spray and bake them if you prefer. Taquitos (which literally means ‘little tacos’) make lovely warm appetizers and you can serve them as finger food. A guacamole dip, or salsa if you prefer (homemade of course!) makes the perfect accompaniment to this delicious and easy Mexican taquitos recipe.
Cinco de Mayo 2016!
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119401 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117378 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63205 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45756 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34617 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24110 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23424 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18946 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17644 Views)