12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Siete
Now more than halfway through our countdown to Cinco de Mayo, our thoughts are turning to dips and condiments. You will already have a good idea about the main dishes you are serving and the beverages, but consider finger food too. Everyone things of salsa and guacamole when considering traditional Mexican dips and condiments, but there are plenty more. From 7-layer dip to pico de gallo, Mexicans love these dips and will have them not only with tortilla chips but also served with meat, poultry or fish as a sauce, something to add moisture, color and flavor to the dish.
So what exactly is pico de gallo? Well, the easiest way to explain it is like a chunky version of salsa, not just chunkier but without all the liquid. Fresh ingredients like tomato, onion, jalapeños, and cilantro combine with lime juice and a little salt to make a typical pico de gallo recipe. Of course there are various recipes for it, but this is an example of what is in there. Pico de gallo is easy to make. You just need to finely chop the ingredients and combine them. Most people like to leave it in the refrigerator for an hour before serving, so the flavors can blend and mellow.
This condiment can be as spicy or as mild as you wish. If you are serving it with chips you might want to spice it up. If you are having it with a spicy fish or meat dish, you might prefer to keep the flavor mild for more of a contrast. Pico de gallo can be one of your Cinco de Mayo party dishes. Simply present it on the table along with your other dishes and you will find some people have it as a dip while others might spoon some on to their chicken, fish or beef dish. Leftover dip will keep for a day or so in a covered container in the refrigerator if you find you have some left after the party.
The ingredients for this dip are easy to find, but it is a good idea to ensure you have everything you need for your Cinco de Mayo event well in advance. Even if you are just celebrating with the family instead of having a party, being organized is key to ensuring the meal goes well and everyone enjoys the party, especially the food and drink. So what else do you need to think about? Well, music is always good, so perhaps you could get some Mexican music, either a CD or by downloading it, and then you might also want to think of some fun games everyone could play too!
Cinco de Mayo 2016!
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119401 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117378 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63205 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45756 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34617 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24110 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23424 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18946 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17644 Views)