12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Uno
There is more to Cinco de Mayo than simply the date it falls on. This special date is largely about the occasion itself, but then you have other aspects to the holiday, such as the planning, the anticipation, and of course knowing exactly what Cinco de Mayo is all about, and the history of this quintessential Mexican holiday. Celebrated outside of Mexico, mainly in the United States, as well as in the country itself, Cinco de Mayo is something any Mexican would be able to proudly explain, and it is a holiday firmly set in the hearts of not only Mexicans but also many of us north of the border.
Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Battle of Puebla, which took place close to the city of Puebla on May 5, 1862, during the French intervention. The Mexican army defeated the French. Although later battles saw French victories, the Battle of Puebla is famous because the French army was larger and better equipped, yet Mexico was still victorious. This boosted the morale of the Mexican army, helping to slow the French from advancing towards Mexico City. This is the event that started it all, and why Cinco de Mayo is a holiday dear to Mexican hearts and an occasion never to be forgotten.
So, back to our Cinco de Mayo party planning, and what do we have in mind for day one? Well, how about a nice, ice cold Mexican beer, served with a wedge of lemon or lime in the top. ‘Cerveza con limon’ is one of the most popular drinks ordered in Mexican and Tex-Mex bars and restaurants, and the bright citrus flavor of the lemon enhances the flavor of the beer. This drink goes with any kind of south of the border appetizers, snacks or entrées, and it is a light, refreshing beverage, so why not kick off our 12 days of Cinco de Mayo with a nice, icy beer?
This has to be one of the simplest recipes known to man. If you can open a bottle of beer and insert a slice of lemon, you can make one of the most famous Mexican-inspired beverages! And better still, the recipe for una cerveza con lemon takes 2 minutes, if that. So when you are planning your food and drink for you Cinco de Mayo party, do not forget to add cervezas to your grocery list. Get more than you think you will need too, because any not which are not used will keep indefinitely, ready to be enjoyed whenever you feel a Mexican mood coming over you, or when you are making Mexican dishes in the future.
Cinco de Mayo 2016!
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119403 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117384 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34623 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30369 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)