Mexican Food Glossary Mexican Food A – B
A Comprehensive Guide to Mexican Food Types
Below you will find a comprehensive guide to Mexican food types and Mexican food terms. Our Mexican food glossary is designed for the non-English speaking person that wants to cook award winning Mexican food recipes but is finding it hard to figure out the many Spanish terms.
This guide will help you make sense of it all complete with phonetic English spellings and annunciation spellings after every term to help you pronounce all the terms you need to make wonderful Mexican recipes in your own home.
We hope this makes it easier for you and you try some of those wonderfully delicious Mexican foods you were scared to try before because you could not figure out the Spanish terms. The list is alphabetical so it should be quick and easy to find what you are looking for.
Mexican Food A – B
Achiote (ah-chee-oh-tay): – A Yucatan style paste made from spices, ground annatto seeds and vinegar or lime juice.
Adobo (ah-doh-bo): – A chili based, smoky flavored sauce with onions, spices, garlic and tomato.
Albondigas (al-bon-dee-gas): – Meatballs.
Al Carbón (al car-bon): – Any kind of meat cooked over wood coals or charcoal.
Al Pastor (al pass-tor): – Any kind of meat cooked Middle Eastern style over a spit.
Anaheim (ah-na-hime): – Long thin chilies used for making chile rellenos.
Ancho (ahn-cho): – A dried poblano chili.
Annatto Seeds (ah-nah-toh seeds): – Small ground seeds used to make achiote paste.
Asada (ah-sah-dah): – Broiled or roasted.
Agave (ah-gah-vay): – A plant native to Mexico with flat, wide leaves that are pointy on the ends. The heart is used to make good quality tequila.
Barbacoa (bar-bah-coh-ah): – Meat, usually wrapped in cactus or banana leaves, cooked over an underground pit.
Bolillo (boh-lee-yo): – A crispy, coarse, bobbin shaped white bread roll.
Borracho (boh-rah-cho): – This word literally means drunk but is used for Mexican recipes where wine, beer or spirits are an ingredient.
Burrito (buh-ree-to): – A flour tortilla stuffed with ingredients.
Leave a Reply
- Mexican Rice Pudding - Receta de Arroz con Leche
- Easy Homemade Tomato Salsa Recipe
- One of the Best Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Vanilla Mexican Sweet Bread
- Classic Mexican Flan
- Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- Traditional Recipe for Turkey Tamales
- Rich Mexican Beef Soup with Chipotle Chili
- Stuffed Poblano Pepper Recipe With Cream Sauce
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe
- Home (78681 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (68939 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (43933 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (40385 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (29100 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (20464 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (17555 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (14773 Views)
- Classic Mexican Flan (12967 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (12650 Views)