A Closer Look at Mexican Food
Even though there are lots of kinds of Mexican food that most of us are familiar with, such as tacos and fajitas, there are also many recipes which you might be unfamiliar with. Have you ever tried ceviche or paella? What about a regional beef soup or a layered salad recipe? Mexican food varies from region to region, since it is such a huge country. There are parts of Mexico where fish and seafood are eaten more than chicken or beef, and other areas where corn tortillas are far more common than wheat tortillas. The diversity of this exotic cuisine is fascinating and one of the best things about it is the fact that it is so easy to make the food yourself at home.
Exciting Recipes to Choose From
There is nothing dull about this food at all. There might be some ingredients which feature in many local recipes, such as tomatoes, beef, chicken, cheese, sour cream, avocadoes, and corn, but there are other recipes containing none of these. This cuisine has evolved over time and contains Spanish, French, Portuguese, Caribbean, African, and Italian influences, amongst others. This delicious cuisine is heavily focused on using the best quality fresh produce and seasonings to make the most incredibly flavored recipes. The food tends to be nutritious and healthy, as well as flavorful.
Typical Traits of Mexican Recipes
Although Mexican meals do vary a lot, there are some things a lot of them have in common, and some patterns which are evident. First of all, Mexicans love to use seasonal produce, and the fresher the better. If you usually find a recipe, identify which ingredients you need and then head to the store to pick them up, try thinking like a Mexican cook, first heading to the farmers’ market and choosing the freshest and best produce. Take it home and build your dish around the ingredients.
That way you can be assured of not only making something really fresh and tasty, but also relying on those locally sourced ingredients rather than using blander ingredients from cans or from the freezer. Of course there is nothing wrong with using canned or prepackaged ingredients to make a dish, especially if you are in a rush, on a budget, or both, but do try to use fresh wherever possible, just to get the most authentic results possible.
A lot of our recipes allow you to use you to tweak the ingredients, so if you have bought some nice fresh corn on the cob, for example, you might like to make a black bean and corn salsa, but instead of using canned corn, cook your own. The result will be fresher tasting. Perhaps you want to make chicken tacos, so look out for ingredients like tomatoes, red onion, avocado, or anything else which would go nicely as a taco topping.
Well-Loved Side Dishes
Something else a lot of Mexican recipes have in common are the side dishes. Even though you can have a different side dish every day of the month if you like (because there are plenty to choose from!) you will find tortillas, Mexican rice, and salsa suggested regularly throughout this site, just because they are so typically Mexican, and go with pretty much any Mexican entrée.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)