A Look at Food Customs
Mexican food is a delicious treat and it is interesting to learn a few customs when you are enjoying your traditional meals.
Breakfast is called “desayuno” and is served between 7 and 10AM. Breakfast might be a simple cup of coffee or it can be a huge plate of huevos rancheros, which are corn tortillas filled with fried egg, tomato, onion, and chili sauce.
Lunch is called “comida” and is eaten between 1.30 and 4PM. Lunch is the main meal of the day in Mexico and it is common to have a salad or soup as an appetizer, followed by poultry, seafood or meat, accompanied by beans, rice and hot tortillas. Lunch is a leisurely meal and is often accompanied by lots of chatting and laughter.
Dinner is called “cena” and is usually served between 8 and 9PM. This is a light meal and might be some tacos or a bowl of soup.
Eating in a Mexican Home
If you are invited to a local home, you should arrive at least half an hour late because arriving on time or early is not considered appropriate. Bring a gift such as some wine or flowers.
You should keep your hands visible while eating and keep your wrists on the table edge. Do not start eating until the hostess starts and leave a little food on your plate after a meal to show that you are full. Only men give toasts, never women. Foreigners will be forgiven for getting some local food customs wrong but if you are friendly and polite, you will not do too badly.
Mexican Celebrations and Food
Tamales are one of the recipes which play a big part in pretty much any celebration, whether it is a national holiday, a birthday or something else. “El Día de los Muertos” (Day of the Dead) is one of the most important holidays in Mexico and there is a big emphasis on food. Families’ buy or bake “pan de muertos” (bread of the dead) which is a tasty, sweet bread, even though its name is not very appetizing.
A lot of people misunderstand Mexican food or have not sampled real local dishes. The Mexicans are warm and friendly people and many authentic recipes are absolutely delicious.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119401 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117378 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63205 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45756 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34617 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24110 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23424 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18946 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17643 Views)