An Introduction to Mexican Food
This is one of those cuisines that many people eat occasionally and think about rarely, which is unfortunate because it is such an exciting style of cuisine. Mexican foods such as chili con carne, tortilla chips and margaritas are known around the globe but there is so much more to it than Tex Mex variations and Taco Bell fare. What is more, this is a great type of cuisine to make at home yourself.
A lot of food from Mexico is low in calories and fat, but high in vitamins and minerals. You might be wondering about the menu at Taco Bell but remember that a lot of fats have been added to these recipes. Traditional dishes, as opposed to fast food outlets’ interpretations of it, contain plenty of nutrients. Peppers, onions, tomatoes, and corn are all very healthy and these ingredients are found in a lot of true south of the border meals.
Do not be put off by what you might think of as calorie-laden food because, in truth, very few traditional recipes from Mexico are high in fat or calories. Some people think that all Chinese food is high in fat and sugar but traditional Chinese food is made primarily with meat, poultry, vegetables, and the high fat versions are meals that have been adapted for westernized tastes. This is exactly the case with a lot of Mexican foods.
Traditional recipes were made with whatever was available and the Mayans and Aztecs used ingredients such as vanilla, chocolate, chili peppers, avocado, fish, beans, peanuts, tomato, and turkey. The conquistadors introduced new foods such as beef, pork, garlic, onions, chicken, wine, and many dishes today feature these ingredients. Corn and rice are also popular in authentic meals.
A lot of recipes from the Vera Cruz and Yucatan regions have a Caribbean influence. There are also a lot of seafood recipes originating from Vera Cruz because of its geography. Other regions have French or Spanish inspired recipes because of the settlers. Meat dishes are plentiful in the North. Vegetables and chicken are more popular in the south.
The Best Loved Meals
Enchiladas are one of the best-known Mexican recipes but these are not especially kind to the waistline because they are quite high in fat. Arroz con pollo is a dish you might have tried. The main ingredients are chicken and rice and it is very tasty. Tacos are delicious too. These are maize or wheat tortillas and can be filled with pretty much anything, making them an exciting alternative to a sandwich.
Salsas are sauces, which are made with raw ingredients and can be chopped, chunky, or smooth in consistency. Big, juicy red tomatoes, chipotle, tomatillo, and avocado are popular salsa ingredients and have been used for many centuries. Salsas, chutneys, and relishes can brighten up any dish and they are easy to make yourself.
When making these foods, you should use fresh ingredients for the best flavor and use toppings to complement the recipe rather than overwhelm it. With experience, you can become good at finding just the right combination of herbs, spices, nuts, and chili to make your recipes light and aromatic.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119454 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117443 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63256 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45797 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34659 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30401 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24140 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23456 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18984 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17718 Views)