Popular Foods of Mexico – A Few “Must Try” Recipes
Even if you have enjoyed meals at Mexican or Tex Mex restaurants, the authentic and popular foods in Mexico are likely to be quite different. If you are going there on vacation it is highly recommended that you skip the “gringo” menus and try some local dishes instead.
It is a good idea to eat mild foods for the first couple of days, to allow your stomach to adjust to the new foods, and then you can try some of the spicier or more exotic dishes. Good Mexican foods to start off with include tamales, quesadillas, enchiladas, and tortas. A torta is a meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, jalapeno and mayonnaise sandwich. These dishes are all popular with the locals for lunch or dinner.
Remember that some popular foods of Mexico can be very spicy indeed. Small chilies tend to be hotter than big ones, although many people are unaware of this fact. A little habanero pepper will be fiery hot but a big poblano chili might be stuffed and served as a main course. Actually, this dish, which is called “chiles rellenos,” is very tasty.
Well Known Mexican Dishes
Tortillas are the staple food of Mexicans and these can be made with corn or flour. Tortillas are usually served with a meal. They can also be grilled for quesadillas, fried for tacos or chimichangas, or baked to make enchiladas. Tacos are one of the most popular foods of all, and these can be stuffed with various meats like shredded pork, shredded beef, or chicken. You can also get cow skull, tongue or cow brain tacos so be careful which you order!
Pozole is a delicious broth made with pork or chicken stock and flavored with oregano, corn, onion, lemon juice, and chili powder. If you like the sound of deep fried pork, you should try carnitas. If you fancy a snack then chilaquiles are tortilla chips, which are served with a green sauce, or you could try tostados, which are fried tortillas, topped with beans, chicken, salad, sour cream, hot sauce, and cheese.
More of the Best Mexican Recipes
Whether you are looking for ideas for food to taste in Mexico or whether you want to make your own recipes at home, there are plenty more delicious treats to choose from. Huachinango is a red snapper dish and if you order this in a restaurant, they will cook it exactly how you want it.
Mole is a typical Mexican sauce containing peanuts, chocolate, spices and more. This sauce is great with chicken, pork, or turkey. Gorditas are corn patties, which are stuffed with cheese or chicken and topped with sour cream, cheese, and hot sauce. These are great little snacks.
Ceviche is well worth trying and this is a type of sushi. Raw fish is “cooked” in citrus juice and then combined with salad ingredients. Ceviche is a great lunch if the weather is hot and you want something light but tasty.
If you are in the Yucatan region, you should try pollo pibil. This chicken dish contains orange and a variety of spices. The chicken is wrapped in banana leaves and then cooked over coals until it is done. This dish has a really wonderful flavor.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119454 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117444 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63256 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45797 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34660 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30401 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24140 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23458 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18984 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17718 Views)