Mexican Independence Day Food and Celebrations
Mexican Independence Day starts at 11PM on September 15 in every Mexican city and town and it is a major holiday. The president in Mexico City rings the historic liberty bell, which was rung by Father Hidalgo. He then shouts, “Mexicanos, viva Mexico” and the crowd echoes this phrase.
The governor of each Mexican state takes up the same cry. After the last cry, the president will wave the flag, ring the liberty bell and everyone will sing the national anthem. The following day there is a military parade and a civic ceremony, since the official Mexican Independence Day is September 16.
Mexican Independence Day Decorations and Festivities
Mexican Independence Day is a busy time and houses, buildings, and streets are decorated all over Mexico, especially with flags. Each town and city’s main plaza is where the main events of the fiesta happen and people of all ages will congregate there and take part in the festivities.
There are vendors on the street corners selling everything from balloons, sombreros, and flags to shuttlecocks in the country’s national colors of green, white, and red.
Special Food for Mexican Independence Day
When celebrating Mexican Independence Day food is an important part of the proceedings. Hundreds of food stands are set up days before Mexican Independence Day and a variety of finger foods called “antojitos” are sold. Mexican candies are also available. Punch, known as “ponche,” is a fruity drink made from seasonal fruits such as apples and guavas and sweetened with raisins and sugarcane.
The whole month of September is important to patriotic Mexicans and restaurants serve national meals, such as chiles en nogada, mole poblano, guacamole and tortilla chips. Mexican Independence Day food is enjoyed throughout the month as Mexicans reflect on their heritage and celebrate their independence.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119402 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117382 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63210 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45761 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24112 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18948 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17649 Views)