Cinco de Mayo 2014
It is never too early to start planning your Cinco de Mayo party. This holiday, which is popular both sides of the Rio Grande, means no shortage of parades, dancing and festivals, as well as plenty of Mexican food and drink. In some places you will find Mariachi bands in the town squares, and this holiday is dedicated to having fun and enjoying yourself with loved ones and friends. Although technically Cinco de Mayo is about remembering a battle which happened 150 years ago, it is also largely about celebrating and enjoyment, so familiarize yourself with the history and then get ready to have a great day!
Cinco de Mayo, or ‘the fifth of May’, celebrates the Battle of Puebla which happened on May 5, 1862. The French invaded Mexico to collect war debts, and the Mexicans were outnumbered by the French by a significant number. Despite that, the Mexicans fought bravely and eventually won the battle. This is remembered with pride every year on May 5. You can expect dancing, parades and lots of parties in Puebla, and also in US cities with big Mexican populations, and this holiday is largely about celebrating the Mexican way of life and enjoying all the wonderful foods and drinks associated with Mexico.
So what are you going to do if you want to host your own Cinco de Mayo party? Whether or not you live somewhere with a big Mexican population, there is nothing to stop you celebrating this occasion at home. Plan the event in advance though and pick out everyone’s favorite Mexican dishes. You can even throw some Tex-Mex snacks into the mix. Take a look at our burrito, taco or fajita recipes, whip up a batch of margaritas or get hold of some Mexican beer, and make a list of friends or family to invite to your special occasion.
The more brightly colored your decorations, the better. The more variety in your Mexican food and beverages, the better. The more Mexican music you can get hold of, buy or download, the better still! Don’t be afraid to make your party as colorful and joyful as possible, because there is nothing Mexicans love more than a good party, and celebrating Cinco de Mayo the traditional way ensures you can bring everyone together and enjoy a really fantastic event. Try some authentic Puebla dishes like chiles en nogada, or chicken in mole sauce, or opt for seafood ceviche, tacos or flautas if you prefer. Another idea is to invite everyone to bring a homemade Mexican snack and see what you end up with on the buffet table!
- Friends, Family and Some Great Mexican Food and Desserts
- Take good friends, family and loads of fun.
- Combine with festive music.
- Add great tasting Mexican food and desserts, along with themed drinks
- Mix and mingle.
- Celebrate our friends down South.
- Add this all together for a fun and festive time this Cinco de Mayo!
Cinco de Mayo is all about the Food and Friends
This special occasion can be fun to plan as well as to celebrate, and planning ahead is always a good idea. Because Cinco de Mayo is about enjoying time with family and friends, it is a good idea to ask everyone about their favorite Mexican dish, and then you will be able to plan a range of dishes and be sure of pleasing everyone. If you need inspiration, simply browse this site and click on a few recipes you like the look of. You can them print or bookmark your choices. Consider tacos, enchiladas or tamales, or think about a Mexican layered salad or even some soup. There are so many possibilities when it comes to south of the border dining, and you can add some Tex-Mex dishes too if you want, such as fiesta nuts, nachos or fajitas.
For a large gathering, you might like to suggest other guests bring some dishes, and then you can enjoy a pot luck style meal, and get a few surprises when you see what other people are bringing along. Cinco de Mayo is perhaps not the time to get too ambitious, since you will not want the stress of preparing a number of simultaneous tricky dishes. Instead choose classic Mexican foods featuring ingredients everyone loves. This is how to summon up the magic of Mexico and get everyone in a happy mood to relax and enjoy this wonderful event.
As the host, you are going to want to enjoy the party just as much as everyone else, and being stuck in the kitchen sweating over a hot stove is not going to be much fun, since you will be missing the celebrations, so plan on making a variety of dishes in advance, so you can just bring them out and serve them buffet-style. If you would prefer a sit-down meal, you can also make dishes in advance and perhaps just finish off one or two just before serving. In Mexico, the whole family takes part in preparing for the party, so how about giving people tasks, so everyone can take part? Anyone who is not into cooking can blow up balloons, hang decorations, or get the music selection ready. Even the kids can take part in decorating or helping with the food. There is no ‘wrong way’ to celebrate Cinco de Mayo so use your imagination when planning the music and decorations, as well as choosing the dishes you are going to prepare to celebrate this wonderful family-oriented feast.
Videos for Cinco de Mayo Food – AmazingMexicanRecipes.com
YouTube Videos “Our Official Cinco de Mayo Video”
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119389 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117329 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63181 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45735 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34589 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30344 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24096 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23406 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18919 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17601 Views)