Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
There is a big difference between fajitas which are served in a restaurant and those which are made at home, and we are not talking about the ingredients. In a restaurant people expect the meat to come served on a sizzling platter. The platter is made to sizzle by putting a little butter in one corner just before carrying it through the restaurant to your table, and the whole point of the sizzle is to encourage other diners to order the same dish. Try this at home though and the effect is not quite the same.
The sizzle is all about showcasing the dish and getting other people to order it. If you happen to have metal platters though, by all means try this trick if you want, but piling the chicken and vegetables on a red-hot metal platter is unlikely to do anything apart from begin to overcook them, and once they are perfectly cooked in the slow cooker that is not really necessary, so leave the theatrics in the restaurants and instead focus on optimum flavor and presentation. Fajitas are easy to make, and the slow cooker makes this process still simpler.
All we are using here, apart from the chicken, peppers and onion, are fajita seasoning and a little broth. Everything else is served on the side, namely the tortillas and any toppings you wish to have. If you do not have fajita seasoning, use taco seasoning. Perhaps you do not have either but you have plenty of spices. This means you can make your own. Combine a tablespoon of chili powder with a teaspoon each of salt, black pepper and cumin, ½ teaspoon paprika, and ¼ teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Easy!
To make chicken fajitas in the crockpot, we are putting the peppers and onion in sliced and the chicken breasts whole, before adding the fajita seasoning and broth, then leaving the mixture to cook. The chicken can then be shredded (our recommendation) or sliced. Then it is mixed back with the veggies and you can serve the fajitas. Choose large flour tortillas for serving and microwave them for half a minute or so to warm them up. Have all the toppings prepared and on the table already, then you can serve it all at once. This makes a great weeknight recipe.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 envelope fajita seasoning
- Tortillas, to serve
- Cheese, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, and/or salsa, to serve
- Cut the onion and bell peppers into ¼-inch slices and put them in the crockpot.
- Sprinkle the fajita seasoning over the top.
- Add the chicken and pour in the broth.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Take the chicken breasts out of the crockpot.
- When they are cool enough to handle, slice them with a knife or shred them using a pair of forks.
- Put the meat back in the crockpot and stir it with the vegetables.
- Serve this mixture with tortillas and your favorite toppings.
Whether you are looking for Mexican recipes, Tex-Mex recipes or crockpot recipes, this recipe offers the perfect solution for dinner. Throw chicken, bell pepper, onions, fajita seasoning and a little broth into the crockpot and a few hours later you have the perfect filling for your warm tortillas. Add sour cream, salsa, cheese, or any other toppings that you want, and you have all the makings of a sumptuous family supper. This is a nutritious recipe but also one that tastes amazing, so while the family will be savoring this, you will be pleased they are enjoying such a healthy meal.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119402 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117378 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63205 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45756 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34617 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30366 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24110 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23424 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18946 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17646 Views)