Cinnamon, Orange and Raisin Rice Pudding
Cinnamon and raisin rice pudding is a special treat in Mexico and if you like Mexican rice pudding cinnamon will definitely be a rice pudding flavor which you are familiar with. Raisins, orange and cinnamon work well as the main flavors in this cinnamon rice pudding recipe, and this is one of our easiest Mexican dessert recipes. This is a creamy and filling dessert dish which will impress everyone at the dinner table. For a different twist you could use either lemon or lime instead of orange for a subtle hint of a different citrus flavor.
A lot of Mexican dessert recipes are light and refreshing but this one is a real winter warmer of a Mexican dessert so it will make a nice change from the Mexican desserts you usually make if you are looking for something deliciously different but still boasting typical Mexican flavors and that south of the border appeal we all love. No other cuisine has the same desserts Mexico has although some countries have similar offerings, in particular Spain (where a lot of Mexican cuisine influences can be traced to) along with other South American countries.
The ingredients needed for this dessert are all easy to find and you will probably have a lot of them already, especially if you regularly make desserts, and in particular Mexican style ones. The preparation is also quite straightforward. The rice is flavored with the other ingredients and then the rice pudding is allowed to cook gently for an hour. This brings all the flavors together and gets the rice nice and soft. This tastes incredible and it also looks pretty served with some cinnamon sprinkled on top plus some orange zest as your garnish.
This makes a great dessert after any type of main dish, but just like you would not serve a beef appetizer before a beef entree, you will probably not want to serve this Mexican rice pudding recipe after a rice-based entree, something like Mexican rice, risotto, or even meat or fish with rice. If you do, you are risking rice overkill. Rice is always great but avoid it in the appetizer and entree if you want everyone to enjoy this dessert the best they can. You will see it is simple to make and if you are looking for something to make a change from flan and other typical Mexican desserts, this is a great choice.
- 2 pints milk
- 1 thick strip orange peel
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- Pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 wine glass measure of pudding rice
- 9 tablespoons sugar
- Ground cinnamon, for garnish
- Fine strips orange peel, for garnish
- Put the unwashed rice in a pan, cover it with water, add the salt and bring it to the boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- Cover the rice with milk.
- Add the orange peel and cinnamon stick.
- Stir well until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the rest of the milk slowly, stirring all the time, then add the sugar and raisins, stirring well again.
- Cover and simmer for an hour.
- Separate the eggs and whisk the whites until stiff in a large bowl.
- Beat the yolks then add them to the whites.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and orange peel from the rice and stir in the egg.
- Pour into 4 individual bowls and garnish with the ground cinnamon and orange peel.
This cinnamon, orange and raisin rice pudding boasts Mexican flavors in every mouthful. Although rice pudding is found pretty much all over the globe, both hot and chilled versions with myriad flavorings, there is no doubt this one is Mexican because of the way the cinnamon and citrus are incorporated. You can see how pretty the cinnamon and orange zest garnish is in the photo, and this makes a delicious dessert after any entrée which does not have rice in it. Serve this warm or chilled, as you prefer, or make it a day ahead if you want. This is a tasty, hearty dessert for all the family.
One Response to Cinnamon, Orange and Raisin Rice Pudding
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119402 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117382 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63210 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45761 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30367 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24112 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18948 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17649 Views)