Fried Cinnamon Mexican Dessert with Lime Sauce
This fried cinnamon Mexican dessert is a great dessert for kids and adults alike. If you have some flour tortillas which need to be used up, this is one of the best Mexican dessert dishes to use because the ingredients are simple and the recipe is easy. This is the kind of Mexican dessert recipe that you could decide to make at the last minute. If you do not have the ingredients for the lime sauce, you can serve these fried tortilla strips with any syrup, cream or ice cream.
This fried cinnamon Mexican dessert is one of our quick Mexican dessert recipes for the times when you crave something sweet. The flavor is similar to churros, a Spanish dish which can be enjoyed for breakfast or as a snack. This is real Mexican comfort food for anyone with a sweet tooth, perhaps not the healthiest Mexican dessert you can make but we all need something hearty and indulgent every now and this, and this recipe cannot fail to hit the spot. If you are having Mexican food for dinner but something without tortillas, consider this as your dessert, to contrast and help fill your belly.
The recipe consists of tortillas, and you can use slightly stale ones if you want, because it makes little difference here, along with sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon for flavor, and then you have a tangy lime sauce. The sweetness of the tortilla strips contrasts beautifully with the acid flavor of the lime sauce. This is a quick and easy recipe to make. The tortilla strips are fried in a couple of minutes and then it is time to serve the dessert. If you want to make it go even further, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the mix, to complement the sweetness of the tortilla strips and contrast with the lime flavor.
This dessert appeals to everyone from the youngest member of the family right up to the most senior. Everyone will really enjoy the aromatic taste of the spices, the sweet, crispy tortilla strips, and the juicy, delicious lime sauce which goes with them. This dessert is quite filling so perhaps not the one to serve after a rich and filling main course, unless you have a rest between the courses. You could always give people a smaller portion if you had an appetizer and an entrée though, or else add some vanilla ice cream to make it even more filling, and enjoy this indulgent recipe in all its glory.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups oil
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 flour tortillas, 8 inch diameter, in strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons water
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water.
- Combine ½ cup of the sugar with the cinnamon and nutmeg in a Ziploc bag.
- Seal and toss to mix.
- Stir the rest of the sugar with the lime juice and ¼ cup water in a small pan.
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture and boil, stirring, for about 30 seconds or until thick.
- Set this sauce aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet or deep fat fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Fry for 4 or 5 tortilla strips for 30 seconds on each side or until golden.
- Drain on brown paper.
- Put the fried tortilla strips in the bag and shake to coat with the sugar mixture.
- Serve with the warm lime sauce.
Lime is a typical Mexican ingredient found in both sweet and savory preparations. Here it is used to make a tangy sauce for your fried tortilla strips, and the result is a harmony of south of the border flavors. You can use slightly stale tortillas to make this because it will not make any different in the final recipe. Flavor them with nutmeg and cinnamon, as well as sugar, and then serve the fried tortilla strips with lime sauce. This is an unusual and delicious south of the border style recipe that is sure to fill your belly and leave you totally satisfied.
One Response to Fried Cinnamon Mexican Dessert with Lime Sauce
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)