Mexican Fried Bananas – Platanos Fritos
If you are looking for simple Mexican recipes, fried bananas are great. Bananas are naturally flavorful and frying them brings out their delicious flavor even more. In the following Mexican fried bananas recipe, the bananas are combined with lemon juice, orange juice and cinnamon and then fried until they are golden brown and soft. Sweetened condensed milk is poured over them because it goes so nicely with the flavor of the bananas. This platanos fritos recipe is really easy and even if you are totally new to making Mexican dessert recipes, you will not have any trouble with this simple recipe.
Choose very ripe bananas for making this because they are softer and more aromatic. Bananas, which have brown spots beginning to appear, are perfect. If you have a cinnamon stick, finely grate some of that, rather than using ground cinnamon, for a better flavor. The other ingredients are open to tweaking too and if you want to try nutmeg instead of cinnamon, white sugar instead of brown sugar or add a little liqueur to the bananas, that is up to you. Add some brandy or kirsch for a special flavor and if you are making this Mexican fried bananas recipe for adults.
If you like ice cream with your sweet Mexican recipes, fried bananas go nicely with any kind of ice cream. Try strawberry or vanilla ice cream for a classic flavor pairing. You might prefer whipped cream with these. Another delicious option is to add vanilla extract (try authentic Mexican vanilla extract for an incredibly rich flavor) to some whipped cream and serve that with these Mexican fried bananas. The sweetened condensed milk is very popular in Mexico though and Mexican kids love this topping with various Mexican dessert recipes.
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ pint sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Melt the butter in a frying pan or skillet and add the orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook this mixture, stirring it all the time, until the sugar dissolves.
- Peel the bananas and slice them lengthways.
- Add them to the frying pan and cook them for about 4 minutes or until the sugar mixture has caramelized and the bananas are soft and golden brown all over.
- Stir them often as they cook.
- Serve with the sweetened condensed milk drizzled over the top.
As you can see from the picture, the creamy condensed milk contrasts nicely with the golden brown bananas. Platanos fritos are best served hot from the frying pan but the condensed milk can be chilled or room temperature. Try serving some ice cold ice cream on the hot bananas if you want, in addition to the condensed milk or instead of it. The ice cream will start melting as soon as it touches the hot Mexican fried bananas. This is one of the most simple Mexican recipes for desserts and it goes perfectly after any kind of meal.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
5 Responses to Mexican Fried Bananas – Platanos Fritos
Leave a Reply
- Cinco de Mayo Gourmet Mexican Salad Platter May 5, 2015
- We’re Having a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta May 5, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Doce May 4, 2015
- Black Bean and Avocado Salsa with 2 Kinds of Corn May 4, 2015
- Vegetarian Nachos with Homemade Chips May 3, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Once May 3, 2015
- Skirt Steak with Tequila and Lime May 2, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Diez May 2, 2015
- Authentic Chiapas Pork Empanadas May 1, 2015
- Albondigas in Sauce – Mexican Meatballs May 1, 2015
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (115150 Views)
- Home (115133 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (61792 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (44775 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (33471 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29492 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23261 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22478 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17908 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (15793 Views)