Mexican Rice Pudding – Receta de Arroz con Leche
Rice pudding, or arroz con leche as it is known in Mexico, is a classic dessert and it is made all over the world. Rice pudding comes in cans too but homemade rice pudding is wonderful because it is so creamy and fresh-tasting. You can serve rice pudding hot or cold, garnished with jam, jelly, marmalade, honey, syrup, sugar or fresh fruit. In Mexico, rice pudding is made with cinnamon and vanilla extract for an authentic Mexican flavor. The following receta de arroz con leche shows you how to make Mexican rice pudding, which your family will love. Serve it warm for the best results. You will need to use regular white rice for this arroz con leche recipe, not quick cooking rice.
A lot of Mexican dessert recipes feature cinnamon and in this rice pudding recipe it is used to flavor the milky rice mixture as it cooks and also as a garnish, sprinkled over the finished dish. Fresh cinnamon tastes better than ground cinnamon so because you have to use cinnamon sticks in the rice pudding mixture you can grate a bit of one of them to get the ground cinnamon for sprinkling. You could use nutmeg instead for sprinkling but only use a tiny bit because a little goes a long way. You should still use the cinnamon in the rice pudding though because it gives this dish a truly authentic Mexican flavor.
This is actually quite a simple recipe and just involves simmering the ingredients until the rice pudding is ready. If you want an easy Mexican dessert recipe to satisfy your family, this one is a really good choice. You can serve recipes like arroz con leche after any cuisine. You do not need to save this for when you next have a Mexican dinner. It goes just as well after any other kind of food.
Some cultures serve rice pudding hot while others serve it cold, but it is still interesting to note this is one of the most global desserts, perhaps because rice is so widespread and used in so many cuisines. From India to the UK to Mexico and Asia, rice pudding is often found on restaurant menus or lovingly prepared in the home for the family to enjoy. This dessert is very economical because the main ingredient, rice, is an economically priced ingredient, and the creaminess of the dish ensures it is something which is going to appeal to all ages from the very young right up to older people and grandparents.
- 2 cups raw rice
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon finely grated cinnamon
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Add the milk and cinnamon sticks to a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Pour in the rice and turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer the rice pudding for about 15 minutes with a lid on the pan.
- Add the condensed milk and sugar and simmer it for 4 minutes more.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and take the rice pudding off the heat.
- Serve it warm, garnished with the cinnamon sticks.
- Sprinkle some ground cinnamon over the rice pudding as a garnish.
You can see from the photo how delicious this fluffy arroz con leche looks. If you like, you can pour some sweetened condensed milk over the rice pudding before adding the cinnamon sprinkles. The cinnamon sticks make a great garnish and this is a light yet very satisfying Mexican dessert recipe. Although there are many ways to serve rice pudding recipes, including hot, warm or cold and with all kinds of toppings and garnishes, this simple recipe is one of the best. The simple flavors of cinnamon, milk, vanilla and cinnamon shine through and this dish will finish any meal on a high note.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
2 Responses to Mexican Rice Pudding – Receta de Arroz con Leche
Leave a Reply
- Cinco de Mayo Gourmet Mexican Salad Platter May 5, 2015
- We’re Having a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta May 5, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Doce May 4, 2015
- Black Bean and Avocado Salsa with 2 Kinds of Corn May 4, 2015
- Vegetarian Nachos with Homemade Chips May 3, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Once May 3, 2015
- Skirt Steak with Tequila and Lime May 2, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Diez May 2, 2015
- Authentic Chiapas Pork Empanadas May 1, 2015
- Albondigas in Sauce – Mexican Meatballs May 1, 2015
- Home (116302 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (115571 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (61973 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (44887 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (33598 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29614 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23372 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22601 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18048 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (15967 Views)