Authentic Pastel de Chocolate
Pastel de chocolate is a delicious Mexican chocolate cake and, in this recipe, the cake is spiced with a little cayenne or chili powder to bring out the flavor of the chocolate. The cake is baked and then decorated with a delicious Mexican chocolate cake glaze and strawberries. You can use raspberries, banana slices or anything else you like to decorate the cake if you do not have fresh strawberries.
This chocolate Mexican sheet cake is simple to make and delicious with a cup of coffee or, for a really indulgent dessert, with a cup of champurrado or Mexican hot chocolate. The recipe is very simple to follow. Just get all your ingredients ready, then combine the dry ones until well combined. Add the wet ingredients and blend the batter until it is evenly mixed. You are now ready to pour it into your cake pan and bake it. The cake takes about half an hour to bake, but insert a knife point into the center at the end. If it does not come out clean, give your cake another 5 minutes and check again, then repeat if necessary. The cake then needs to cool down, so set it on a wire rack and be patient while it cools.
If you are new to cake-making, you will find this recipe delightfully easy, since it is just a question of combing your ingredients and baking the mixture in the oven until you have a finished cake. Once you have made this once, you will certainly want to make it again, or try some other Mexican cake recipes. You can also divide this mixture between muffin tins to make individual cakes, decreasing the cooking time by 10 minutes if you do this.
The glaze is optional and you can just leave the cake plain if you prefer. If you do want to glaze it though, you can use less or more glaze depending whether you just want to do the top or the sides too, and how thick you want it. Basically you need twice as much sugar as cocoa powder, then just add a little cinnamon and enough water to get the consistency right. You can then glaze the cake with it, but ensure your cake is fully cooled before doing this. The finished cake can then be decorated with strawberries to finish it beautifully, and it will look impressive and gorgeous.
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 10 sliced strawberries, for garnish
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Water, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8-inch cake pan.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients in a bowl except the strawberry slices.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix well until the batter is combined.
- Pour it into the cake pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake's center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes then tip it out of the pan and cool it completely on a wire rack.
- Combine the cocoa and powdered sugar to make the glaze.
- Add water to bring it to the right consistency and add a pinch of cinnamon.
- Use a palette knife to paint the glaze all over the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate it with the strawberry slices.
This is a rich, delicious and authentic Mexican chocolate cake. Known as pastel de chocolate in Spanish, this cake is so easy to make, and is simply a matter of combining the ingredients to make the batter, then baking it. The glaze is also very simple to make. A touch of chili powder or cayenne in the batter adds a special kick to the taste of the cake, complementing the chocolate flavor beautifully. If you to make a traditional Mexican dessert, this is a lovely recipe to choose because not only is it very easy, it boasts a wonderful flavor too.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)