Mexican Dessert Cheesecake with Orange
This Mexican dessert cheese cake recipe combines a crisp crust with a rich and creamy filling and a tangy fresh orange gelatin topping. Lime is used to add a sharp flavor which goes beautifully with the condensed milk rich filling. The result is a perfectly balanced dessert boasting plenty of incredible flavor. Whatever you are having for the appetizer and entrée, this south of the border cheesecake is sure to be a perfect fit when the time for dessert arrives.
Cheesecake is not the first dish that comes to mind when most people think about Mexican dessert recipes but this cheesecake combines Mexican flavors perfectly – the sharp with the creamy and the sweet with the sour. If you are looking for unique and slightly different dessert recipes, this Mexican dessert cheesecake is delicious. If you want to add a touch of chocolate, consider some grated Mexican chocolate over the top, added just before serving. Something else you might want to do is add some fresh orange before pouring over the gelatin.
Making this is very simple. The first thing to do is prepare the crust. You could always use a readymade Graham cracker crust to save time, but preparing a crust using Graham cracker crumbs and butter takes 5 minutes or less, so you might as well make your own. The filling is a blend of lime, egg, cream cheese, and milk, and that can be poured directly into the crust, before baking them together. About half an hour in the oven is enough time to set the crust and the filling. Then you can work on the topping while the cheesecake is cooling down.
For the topping, you have a few choices. You might like to add fresh orange segments, or even drained canned mandarin segments, then pour gelatin over the top, or you might like to let the gelatin set and then use a teaspoon to scoop out dollops which you can then arrange on top. Grate some Mexican chocolate on top or add some fresh herb leaves or sprigs before serving, if you like, to add a contrasting color to the finished dessert. This is a make-ahead dessert so if you want to free up your time to work on the entrée, choose this tasty cheesecake.
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1½ cups Graham cracker crumbs
- Grated rind of 2 limes
- 14 oz condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 oz pack orange gelatin
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup hot water
- Grated Mexican chocolate or fresh herbs, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the butter with the Graham cracker crumbs and press into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Combine the lime juice, lime rind and milk in a blender.
- Add the cream cheese and eggs and mix well.
- Pour this mixture into the crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes and leave to cool.
- Dissolve the gelatin in hot water, add the orange juice and refrigerate until thick.
- Either pour this on top of the cheesecake or wait for it to set, or add separate dollops like in the photo.
- Chill the cheesecake for 3 hours or until very cold and the topping has set fully.
- Serve garnished with Mexican chocolate or fresh herbs, if liked.
This dessert can be as simple or as gourmet as you wish. Use a readymade Graham cracker crust and pour the gelatin over the top for a simple dessert, or take inspiration from the picture and add scoops of gelatin on top, then finish off with some baby herb leaves or a sprig or herbs, or even some grated Mexican chocolate. The orange sauce is optional, or you could just spoon some gelatin on to the serving plates and let it set for a similar result. This is a tangy, creamy and very delicious Mexican inspired dessert to impress your dinner guests.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119403 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117384 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30369 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)