Mexican Sweet Corn Cake
You might have enjoyed Mexican sweet corn cake as a side dish in a Mexican restaurant but did you know how easily you could make your own? Sweet corn cake is sweet and tasty and can be served alongside any Mexican meal. It is also sweet enough to serve as a Mexican dessert recipe, perhaps with some cajeta or maple syrup.
In this sweet corn cake recipe, corn is combined with sugar, cream, cornmeal, and several other ingredients. Sweet corn has a natural sweetness and is quite commonplace in many dessert recipes or, like this recipe, sweet recipes which are served as a side dish for a savory meal.
Similar to cornbread, this Mexican corn cake boasts similar rich flavors. Not only does the cornmeal add that distinctive corn flavor, but the corn kernels intensify it, so if you love corn you are sure to love this. Another reason this is such a popular recipe is its versatility. Serve it with your favorite Mexican stew or casserole, or pair it with a chili con carne, adding some sour cream too perhaps. You can also serve it with honey or maple syrup drizzled over the top, and have it as a dessert.
A lot of people like to eat this as soon as it comes out of the oven, spreading butter over it so it melts and then adding their honey or maple syrup. However you choose to eat your Mexican sweet corn cake, the flavor is sure to blow you away because it is like nothing else.
You will find the texture to be light without being too airy, and the cake to be satisfying without being too heavy or substantial. This recipe is well worth bookmarking so you can find it again, and you are probably going to be asked to share the recipe when other people taste this.
- ? cup Mexican corn flour
- ½ cup softened butter
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups thawed whole-kernel corn
- ? cup white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Beat the butter in a bowl until it is creamy, then add the corn flour and water.
- Mix it all together well. Process the corn in a food processor but leave it chunky. Stir this into the butter mixture. In another bowl, mix the sugar, cream, cornmeal, salt and baking powder. Add this to the corn flour mixture and stir well.
- Pour this batter into an un-greased 8 inch baking pan. Smooth it down and cover the pan with tinfoil.
- Place the pan in a 9 by 13 inch dish which is one third filled with water.
- Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. You can use an ice cream scoop to remove chunks from the pan or cut it into squares. Serve this as a side dish with your favorite Mexican recipe.
- Or if you want to Americanize it why not pour over maple syrup!
You can see how the corn cake is baked in one pan, and then you can cut it into squares or rectangles to serve. Whether you choose to serve this with a Mexican stew or chili con carne, or smother it with butter and maple syrup, you can be guaranteed of plenty of flavor in every bite. This corn cake recipe features whole corn kernels for a wonderful taste and to enhance the bright yellow color. You can see in the photo the cake is slightly more golden brown on top and lighter underneath, and that is normal with most cakes. Unlike most cakes though, this one is versatile, and is equally good served with sweet condiments as it is served with something savory.
Leave a Reply
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (109549 Views)
- Home (98019 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (58326 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (43781 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (32306 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (27251 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (21904 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (21597 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17045 Views)
- Classic Mexican Flan (14637 Views)