Mexican Cookie Rings
These are very special, donut-shaped cookies. They are soft and have the taste and texture of sugar cookies. Mexican cookie rings look best when you decorate them with multi-colored sprinkles but you could use red and green sprinkles for Christmas or red and pink for Valentines’ day.
This is a great cookie recipe if you do not want to spend a long time on preparation but want to end up with a very special result. Kids are especially partial to Mexican cookie rings because they look cute as well as tasting delicious. Keep your eye on them when baking because they turn from golden to brown quite quickly!
The shape of these cookie rings means you can consider threading ribbon through the hole to suspend them from the Christmas tree, perhaps using green and red sprinkles on them first, to add that festive look. You could also theme them to match the rest of your Christmas décor, so if you were to decorate the tree in blue and silver this year for example, you can add blue and silver edible decorations to these cookies.
Just use your imagination where the decorations are concerned and you will end up with something both decorative and delicious. These cookie rings could even be a project for you and the kids to have fun with. Kids love making cookies, especially if they get to stir the ingredients and lick out the bowl afterwards. They can also help with the sprinkles.
You can see by looking through the ingredients that there is nothing unexpected in there, just the regular cookie ingredients plus some vanilla to give them a sweet, warm flavor. Vanilla is often used to make Mexican desserts because it is a typical south of the border flavor. If you want to swap the vanilla for almond, coconut or another flavor though, go right ahead because any of those would work fine. Perhaps the results will not be as traditional but the cookies will still be delicious.
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sprinkles (multicolored ones look best)
- ½ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Yolks from 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, then add the egg yolks and the vanilla until the mixture is fluffy.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt, then add it to the egg yolk mixture and stir well.
- Make balls about an inch in diameter and make a ring through each one, using a finger or your thumb to do so.
- Dip each cookie ring in the sprinkles, then arrange them on the baking sheets.
- Bake the cookie rings until they are golden brown.
- This will take about 10 minutes.
- Let them cool on wire racks.
You can see the cookie rings in the picture have been decorated with pink sprinkles and tied with pink ribbons. This is an ultra-girly look which would be fantastic for Valentine’s Day, a baby shower (perhaps make some blue ones too, just in case!) or for a little girl’s birthday party. The ribbon is optional of course but it looks pretty so you might like to use it. You can also hang these from the Christmas tree if you make loops out of ribbon. The sprinkles can be little balls like in the photo or you can use another shape of sprinkles.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119453 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117441 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63254 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45793 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34657 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30401 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24140 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23455 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18984 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17717 Views)