The Best Recipe for Coconut Balls
This recipe for coconut balls combines coconut with flour, mung beans, sugar and more for chewy little coconut balls which are sweet and mouthwatering. You can use coconut balls to decorate an ice cream dessert or a cheesecake. Else, simply serve them with hot chocolate or coffee for a late night treat. Perhaps you have tried chocolate covered coconut balls before and chocolate coconut balls are great but this recipe is simpler.
If you are looking for a great recipe for coconut balls, you will enjoy this one. You will need to begin making them the night before because the mung beans have to soak. Mung beans have a very mild flavor and their gooey texture makes them ideal for combining with the coconut. Perhaps you never tried mung beans in a dessert recipe but they are great for making Mexican desserts like these coconut balls.
You should not have any problems with this easy coconut balls recipe. Remember to line the base of the steamer with wax paper before adding the coconut balls, else they will stick and be hard to remove in one piece when they have finished cooking. Rolling the coconut balls in extra desiccated coconut at the end of the cooking gives them a great appearance and an amazing texture.
Why We Love Coconut
A lot of recipes with coconut feature the coconut as a main ingredient, as one of the main flavors, because it is so distinctive. Whether you are making something savory like a Thai curry with a coconut sauce, or something sweet like these coconut balls, that coconut flavor will be one of the first, or the very first, that your taste buds identify.
This ingredient is something you will either love or hate. A lot of people love coconut. Some dislike it intensely so if that applies to you then you might like to take a look at some other recipes instead. If you do love it though, make these because they are so good.
- 3 ½ oz desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ½ oz glutinous rice flour
- 4 ½ fl oz coconut milk
- 1 ¾ oz split mung beans
- 1 oz wheat flour
- 3 ¼ oz white sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Soak the peeled, split mung beans in cold water for 12 hours, then rinse them and steam them for 45 minutes with a baking paper-covered steamer bottom.
- Crush them with a fork.
- Put 1 ¼ oz of the white sugar a 2 tablespoons of water in a pan and heat it up to make syrup.
- Add this syrup to the crush mung beans, with a pinch of salt and 1 ¾ oz of the desiccated coconut.
- Make little 1 inch balls out of this yellow dough mixture.
- Warm the coconut milk with the rest of the sugar in a pan until the sugar dissolves.
- Mix the wheat flour, baking powder and rice flour in a bowl, then pour in the sweetened coconut milk and mix to form a dough.
- If the dough is too sticky, cook it in the steamer for half an hour.
- Press this white dough in your hand and put a piece of yellow dough inside it.
- Roll it closed. Roll a sheet of baking paper in the steamer and put the balls on it.
- Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Steam the balls for 10 minutes if you already cooked the white dough earlier or 30 minutes if not.
- Roll the coconut balls in the desiccated coconut and let them cool.
Some Mexican dessert recipes are very elegant and these tasty little coconut balls can definitely be described in that way. Serve these after dinner with coffee for a little treat or even indulge in a few as an afternoon treat. These little coconut balls are easy to make and they have an aromatic flavor and a light, mouthwatering consistency. You might have tried honey coconut balls or a peanut butter balls rolled in coconut recipe, and you will find this recipe to be every bit as good as those will. This is a wonderful recipe for coconut lovers everywhere because the coconut flavor is so strong and gorgeous.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119390 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117342 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63187 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45740 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34596 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30348 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24100 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23409 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18925 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17611 Views)