Creamy Sapotes Dulces Pudding
Black sapotes are a Mexican fruit which grow in the Yucatan area. It can be difficult to find them in the United States but you might be lucky if there is a Mexican store nearby. Sapotes have a rich flavor which is a bit like chocolate. Sapotes dulces is a famous Mexican dessert recipe containing orange juice, sugar and rum. In the following recipe, sapotes are combined with ladyfingers, which are long, thin sponge cakes, and whipped cream to make a delicious pudding. All you need are these few ingredients and you can make the most amazing dessert.
Black sapotes are wonderfully low in fat so this is one of the Mexican dessert dishes you can indulge in without worrying about your waistline. If you didn’t think fruit could taste anything like chocolate or make such a filling dessert, you have obviously not met the sapote yet. This fruit will blow all preconceptions into the water, revealing its incredible flavor, whether you choose to eat it as it is, use it in a cookie, cake or pie, or find another use for it. Head to a Mexican food market, buy a sapote and you will be delighted with the possibilities.
In the following recipe, black sapotes mashed in brandy or cognac (whatever you have) are spooned into a ladyfinger or sponge cake pie shell, and then the dessert is chilled until it sets. Serve it with whipped cream, or consider a scoop of vanilla ice cream instead, or even with the cream, and the resulting dessert is sure to surprise you with its sweet, wonderful flavor. Mexican cooks are well aware of how delicious sapote is but it is unknown in many places north of the border. Head to your local food market, stock up on sapote, and you can make delicious desserts like this one.
When people think about Mexican desserts, traditional favorites such as flan come to mind, and that can be really good after your entree – a tasty vanilla flan or rich coconut and chocolate flan – but in Mexico you will also come across fruit platters and cakes being served after the main dish, or you might even find this sapote recipe. If you do find this on a menu in Mexico then order it! Sapote is a very special fruit offering a unique, delicious flavor. Even if you cannot get them where you live, then you can at least familiarize yourself with the dish and order it during your next Mexican vacation. It is almost impossible not to fall in love with the magical flavor of sapote.
- 1 cup black sapote, mashed in brandy
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Ladyfingers or plain sponge cake
- Line a glass dish with ladyfingers or sponge cake to make a half inch thick shell.
- Fold the brandied black sapote on top and chill for a couple of hours.
- Top with whipped cream and serve.
This black sapote pie is incredibly easy. Mash your black sapote with brandy then use this as a pie filling. Serve the finished pie with whipped cream. What a fantastic dessert this would make after a south of the border main dish. In the picture you can see a black sapote on the left and a persimmon on the right, 2 fruits often combined in fruit pie recipes but you can use the sapote by itself for a more intense flavor. You can find these fruits at your local Mexican food market, and now you know you can make such a simple, delicious dessert you will want to buy some.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119402 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117382 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63213 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45761 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30367 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24112 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18949 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17649 Views)