Mexican Banana Pudding with Rum
This is a delicious and easy banana pudding recipe which anybody can make. If you like Mexican dessert dishes you will appreciate the vanilla and nutmeg in this banana pudding recipe which flavor it subtly. The rum adds a great flavor as well but you can leave it out if you want to or if you are making this Mexican dessert for kids. You can use half and half instead of light cream if you want to cut the fat down a bit or if that is just what you have in the refrigerator.
If you are looking for easy dessert recipes then consider Mexican desserts because they are often quite simple to put together. This banana pudding is a must for all banana lovers and it gives a nice fruity finish to your meal. To make this, you will need egg yolks, milk, bananas and cream, as your main ingredients, then some sugar, nutmeg, butter, dark rum, and vanilla to add the flavor. A little cornstarch helps to keep the texture just right. You might already love banana pudding or maybe you have not had it before. Either way this is well worth making.
Although not one of the better-known Mexican desserts, this banana pudding recipe is inspired by beloved Mexican ingredients like fruit, nutmeg and vanilla, to offer a wonderful south of the border taste which everyone will love. You only need a tablespoon of dark rum so unless you happen to have a bottle just get a miniature then you can use that. If you do not want to use the rum, simply leave it out. You might want to do that if kids will be eating the dessert or if you just prefer not to use alcohol in desserts. It does add a lovely indulgent flavor though!
Making this dessert is very simple. You can make it in one pan, adding the ingredients in the right order, and then simply divide it between 6 serving dishes and chill in the refrigerator. The fact this is a make-ahead dessert is handy because you can make it then forget about it, leaving your time freed up to concentrate on the entrée. This type of dessert goes very nicely after any kind of entrée. It is satisfying without being too heavy, and the combination of fruit, vanilla, nutmeg, cream, and other ingredients offers the perfect blend of flavors and this is a winning dessert.
- 8 egg yolks
- 1½ cups dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups light cream
- 2 oz butter
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups milk
- ½ cup cornstarch
- Whipped cream to garnish
- Scald the milk with half the cream in a pan.
- Combine the rest of the cream with the sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks in a bowl.
- Whisk the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture, then pour it all in the saucepan.
- Whisk over a medium heat and bring it to the boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and whisk for another few minutes until thick.
- Add the rum, nutmeg, vanilla and butter.
- Reserve 6 slices of banana and add the rest to the pudding mixture.
- Stir well.
- Pulse the banana pudding a few times in a blender.
- Strain it through a sieve and divide between 6 serving glasses.
- Let the puddings cool completely.
- Garnish each one with some whipped cream and a reserved banana slice just before serving.
This make-ahead dessert offers a wonderful taste. It is creamy and delicious, and also prepare. Garnish these desserts with whipped cream if you like, or just some banana slices. You will identify the south of the border flavors easily enough, and the dark rum, vanilla and nutmeg are excellent teamed with this creamy banana pudding. If you are looking for a dessert which is silky smooth, fruity and creamy, and also boasting plenty of Mexican appeal, you will not be disappointed with this one, which goes perfectly after any kind of entrée.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119453 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117441 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63254 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45795 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34659 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30401 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24140 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23455 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18984 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17717 Views)