Mexican Caramel Apple Empanadas Recipe
pastry but making the delicious caramel apple filling yourself. This recipe makes 36 empanadas or you could halve it if you don’t want to make so many. They are not so big so serve 2 to each diner and that will be fine. The caramel melts while the Mexican dessert empanadas are cooking and is still very soft and sticky when you serve them, which offers a great texture and goes well with the warm apple pieces.
Vanilla ice cream goes wonderfully with this caramel apple empanadas recipe or you could serve whipped cream with them instead. These empanadas are also good cold, like with lots of other Mexican dessert dishes. Empanadas are often savory but sweet ones work just as well. The same is true of other pastries, such as puff pastry or flaky pastry. Either of these flour and butter based mixtures goes beautifully with your choice of filling, whether it is sweet or savory, so just pick your filling and get ready to make a delicious snack.
Anyone interested in making these tasty snacks will be able to do so with ease. The flour is mixed with caramel, lemon and apples to make your filling, then you can spoon this into the dough to make the empanadas. Melted butter and cinnamon sugar goes over them to add to the overall appeal and lovely sweet taste, and you can either serve these apple empanadas with cream or ice cream or just as they are. Although you can serve them chilled the following day after a night in the refrigerator, they are best served warm from the oven shortly after baking.
There are many occasions when these empanadas would be the perfect thing to serve. Because they are served warm and sweet, consider making them when you have kids over or when you are celebrating a special occasion and wish to add a Mexican flair to the event. These are great all year round but they are perfectly fitting during the fall or winter. Consider them for Halloween or Christmas. Once you have tried these sweet empanadas you will certainly want to make them again and again because the flavor is simply fantastic.
- 1 pack frozen roll dough, thawed
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ⅔ cup caramel ice cream topping
- 3 cups chopped, peeled apples
- 10 caramel candies, chopped
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Cinnamon sugar, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a pair of baking sheets.
- Mix the flour, caramel pieces, caramel topping, lemon juice and apples until well combined.
- Divide the dough into 2 halves.
- Put one half on a floured surface and roll out a 4 inch round.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the apple mixture on to the lower half and brush the edges with milk.
- Fold the dough in half, crimp the edges with a fork and repeat the process with the rest of the dough.
- Brush the empanadas with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake on baking sheets for 15 minutes and serve with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.
Empanadas can be filled with pretty much anything – savory ingredients like beef, chicken or pork, sweet ones like apples and caramel, pear, chocolate or berries, or even unusual ones like cheese. In this recipe the empanadas are stuffed with a decadent caramel apple mixture, then served with ice cream or whipped cream. They make the most amazing dessert and, if you like south of the border recipes, you will love this one. It is lovely served after any Mexican entrée you care to make. The flavor is perfect and one is not going to be enough so serve each person two, at least!
One Response to Mexican Caramel Apple Empanadas Recipe
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119403 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117384 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45762 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30367 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24112 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17653 Views)