Tangy La Lechera Lemon and Lime Pie
La Lechera is a brand of sweetened condensed milk which you might have seen in your local store. If you cannot find La Lechera, you can use another type of condensed milk in this lime pie recipe as long as it is sweetened condensed milk. Lime pie is very popular in Mexico because the flavor of lime is sharp and refreshing and it goes beautifully with the creamy condensed milk and eggs in this lime pie recipe. Although you can use only lime juice if you prefer, we are using both lemon and lime here, for more of a tang. Just use lime though if you want to ‘Mexican-ize’ this as much as possible.
Lemon and lime pie makes a light yet satisfying dessert and if you like Mexican dessert recipes which are cool and refreshing after a spicy meal, you will love the following easy recipe. Most people have tried lemon meringue pie already but lime pie is a nice twist on the classic recipe. Lime is a classic Mexican ingredient of course, found in all kinds of dishes from lime mousse to lime pie, served as a garnish with fish tacos or chicken quesadillas, or used to make such delights as shrimp ceviche for example. Lime is a versatile ingredient which is as good in desserts as it is in savory dishes.
If you cannot get the La Lechera brand of sweetened condensed milk favored by Mexican cooks, you can use an alternative brand instead and the flavor of the finished dessert will be the same. Do not swap the fresh lemon or lime juice for the bottled kind though, because Mexican dishes are all about freshness, and the citrus is one of the key ingredients in this recipe! Whenever you are cooking authentic Mexican food, always go for freshness wherever you can, to keep it as traditional as possible.
A good Mexican cook will plan and build a whole meal around whatever fresh ingredients happen to be in their local market that morning, and that is a great way to cook because it means you always get the amazing flavors of fresh ingredients which were grown locally and boast more flavor than something which was grown halfway around the world and shipped over. So, with that in mind, gather the most delicious and fresh lemons and limes you can find, to squeeze out that amazing juice, and you can make this La Lechera lemon and lime pie to surprise your family after dinner.
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 can ‘La Lechera’ brand sweetened condensed milk
- 6 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Readymade pie shell, 9 inches in diameter
- 12 fresh raspberries, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 330 degrees F.
- Beat the egg yolks, then slowly stir in the condensed milk.
- Add the lemon and lime juices and mix again.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat until frothy.
- Keep beating and add the sugar, a teaspoon at a time, until the egg whites form peaks and you have meringue.
- Fold 6 tablespoons of the meringue into the filling mixture and pour into the pie shell.
- Top with the meringue and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let it cool, then serve garnished with fresh raspberries if liked.
Give your lemon meringue pie a new twist by swapping the lemon for lime, and you can enjoy meringue-topped pie the way they do in Mexico. The wonderful pie is simple to make yourself, especially if you use a readymade pie shell, and the whole family will be impressed when you serve this. Fresh berries are optional but recommended because they make a beautiful garnish, or you might like to offer some peach or apricot slices, or even a sweet fruit salsa made with berries, peach or pineapple, and then drizzled with chocolate. Get creative with the garnish and have fun with it!
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117391 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17657 Views)