How to Make Dulce de Camote
This delicious dulce de camote recipe combines the flavors of sweet potato and pumpkin to make a really Mexican inspired pie recipe. You might be wondering about the “preparacion de camote con dulce” and this recipe shows you how easy this classic Mexican dessert recipe is to make. As you can imagine, the combination of sweet potatoes and pumpkin gives this pie a rich orange color, which makes it look incredibly appetizing.
It might surprise you to learn that the sweet potato is only distantly related to the regular potato and sweet potatoes and yams are not that closely related either, although you can use either in the following dulce de camote recipe. Sweet potatoes are native to South America and they have been domesticated there for about five thousand years. The shoots and leaves are edible but the starchy roots are the most commonly eaten part of this plant. Sweet potatoes are a staple food crop in some tropical regions.
There are lots of ways to enjoy sweet potatoes, as well as making dulce de camote with them. They can be fried in bacon drippings and eaten on toast. This dish is very popular in rural Kentucky. Baked sweet potatoes are sometimes served in restaurants alongside entrees. They are baked in an iron drum in China and sold on street corners in the winter as a warming snack. Boiled sweet potato is popular in Japan and it is also made into desserts. The juice from red sweet potatoes is sometimes combined with lime juice in South America to make a dye for fabric. You can get every shade from pink and mauve to black, just by varying the juice proportions.
Perhaps you enjoyed sweet potato and pumpkin together in a savory dish recently, but these 2 ingredients are special because they are just so good when combined and used in a sweet dish. This recipe proves how well they team together and you will love this dulce de camote dish. Serve it at Halloween if you want something unusual, or any other time. Whether you have it for dessert or as a snack there is no doubt you will love the harmony of flavors this dish offers, and you will certainly want to make this Mexican dessert again in the near future.
- ¼ lb peeled, chopped sweet potato
- ¼ lb peeled, chopped pumpkin
- ⅔ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 readymade pie crust
- 1 beaten egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- ⅓ cup softened butter
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Boil the sweet potato and pumpkin in a pan of salted water, then mash them.
- Combine the sugar, salt, and butter, whisking it until creamy.
- Add the sweet potato and pumpkin and mix well.
- Add the milk, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and egg and keep whisking.
- Spoon this mixture into the pie crust and bake for 20 minutes or until done.
- Let the pie cool for 10 minutes, and then serve it with a dollop of whipped cream.
Dulce de camote is a great dessert or snack and in this recipe, easy dulce de camote is straightforward to make. The sweet potatoes and pumpkin are flavored with sugar, nutmeg, and vanilla and the pie is great served hot or warm. It is also fine served cold. If you like sweet potatoes and pumpkin, you are really going to enjoy this pie. Serve dulce de camote after dinner or for a special occasion. Its color and ingredients makes it ideal for Halloween or even for a Cinco de Mayo party. This is one of the easiest pie recipes you can make and it is a great example of an authentic Mexican dessert recipe.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (109950 Views)
- Home (98436 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (59172 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (43918 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (32560 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (27492 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (22058 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (21790 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17242 Views)
- Classic Mexican Flan (14735 Views)