How to Make Sopapillas the Mexican Way
Sopapillas, which can also be spelt sopaipillas, is an authentic Mexican dessert recipe, which is so easy to make and tastes amazing. There are various ways to make a sopapillas recipe and you can use crescent rolls to make one version of these little pastries but the following recipe shows you how to make sopapillas like the Mexicans do. To make them, flour, water, salt and more are combined to make a dough and then the dough squares are deep-fried. Serve these sopapillas with honey drizzled over the top for a wonderful dessert.
If you are not keen on overly sweet desserts, you will enjoy sopapillas because they are neither savory or sweet. The honey adds a sweetness, of course, and you can use ice cream syrup or whipped cream if you prefer. Ice cream also goes well with sopapillas. The traditional Mexican way of serving them is with honey though.
Mexican sopapillas are quick to make, although the dough does need to stand for twenty minutes before you roll it out. This is a great dessert, which everyone will enjoy after any kind of entree. Adults and kids will both love this recipe for sopapillas and it is suitable for any occasion. The sopapillas are best served hot, so drain them on paper towels after you fry them and then serve them right away for the best results.
Although the sopapillas offer a very neutral flavor, what really completes this dish is the honey you drizzle over them. Alternatively you might wish to offer syrup or even something Mexican like dulce de leche, to add another true Mexican flavor to the dish.
There is nothing difficult about this recipe, which is one reason it is made so often in Mexican homes. Anyone will be able to capture the true essence of the dish and get the sopapillas to come out just right. Kids and grownups alike will enjoy this recipe and you will find them wonderfully simple to prepare. This is certainly a dish you will be making more than once, and you will decide that as soon as you bite into your first one.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 quarts oil, for deep-frying
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Honey, to serve
- Stir the salt, shortening, flour, and baking powder together.
- Stir in the water and keep mixing the dough until it is smooth.
- Cover the bowl and let it stand for about 20 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a floured board until it is ? inch to ¼ inch thick, then cut it into 3 inch wide pieces.
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees F in a deep fat fryer and fry the sopapillas until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Drain them on paper towels, then serve them with honey drizzled over the top.
These mouthwatering little treats make the perfect dessert after a Mexican meal or any other kind of meal. They are easy to make and the honey drizzled over the top gives them a wonderful flavor. This recipe for sopapillas is the authentic Mexican sopapillas recipe and you will find it very simple to follow. If you want to know how to make sopapillas, your family are sure to appreciate them. You can make them very quickly and you might like to experiment with serving ideas. Sopapillas do not have a lot of flavor themselves but they are crunchy and filling, so they go with ice cream, whipped cream, fresh fruit or anything else you want to add. A dusting of powdered sugar over hot sopapillas is also good.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119386 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117320 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63168 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45728 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34583 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30342 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24092 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23400 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18912 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17579 Views)