Mexican Dessert Sopapilla Recipe
it is cooked. Bunuelos and churros are similar to Mexican dessert sopa papilla. This is a simple recipe to make and the little bread treats are stuffed with a wonderful honey butter which melts. It is easy to stuff the sopapillas with the honey butter because they are hollow. They puff up when they are deep fried. This makes a delicious dessert for after your Mexican dinner or a snack at any time of the day. The sopapillas keep in an airtight container for a day or two.
Sopapillas boast quite a neutral flavor, but add the butter and honey and this adds all the gorgeous charm and beauty to the flavor. This is comparable to cornbread, where it is alright served plain but amazing once you add butter and honey, and no, you should not swap the butter for margarine! If you do not have honey, try syrup instead. Maple syrup would work too. Sopapillas are often make in Mexican homes because they are so simple to prepare, and the flavor is amazing too. This is the type of dish every member of the family will love.
These are quite easy to make but bear in mind the dough needs to sit for an hour and a half before you make and cook the sopapillas, so ensure you have plenty of time. The dough is prepared then rolled out and cut into diamond shapes. You can then deep-fry them and they will puff up, meaning you can open the corner and insert a honey butter chunk. Just as this begins to melt wonderfully over the sopapillas you can serve them, so you can enjoy the warm fried dough with the sweet buttery filling oozing out over your tongue.
So the next time you want to make something authentic and Mexican, consider this sopapillas recipe because it is easy to make and once you have tried it you will certainly want to make it again. Make sure you serve them hot while the honey butter is still melting and that is absolutely the best way to enjoy this classic Mexican dessert. There are various sopapillas recipes to choose from, each one quite similar, but this one is sure to work out well, and deliver all that amazing south of the border flavor you would expect.
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 3 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ lb and 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup honey
- Dissolve the yeast in the water.
- Bring the sugar, salt and milk to a boil and stir in 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Let it cool to lukewarm, then stir in the yeast mixture, flour and egg.
- Cover the dough and let it stand for 1½ hours.
- Knead and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough ¼ inch thick and cut it into diamond shapes.
- Fry in deep fat at 350 degrees F until golden, turning them just once.
- Drain on brown paper or paper towels.
- Beat the rest of the butter with the honey then chill it for 5 minutes.
- Tear open the corners of the sopaipillas and slip a honey butter chunk inside each one.
Whether you stick with the traditional diamond shape dough, or go for random shapes like we have done here, there is no doubt you will love the taste of these sopapillas. Bite into one while it is still warm and enjoy the honey butter running over your tongue. This is a dessert you will need to hand out the napkins for, because it can get messy. Sprinkle some powdered sugar over the sopapillas before serving if liked, or even add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you want. These are quick and easy to make, although bear in mind you need to let the dough rest for 1½ hours before frying the sopapillas.
2 Responses to Mexican Dessert Sopapilla Recipe
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)