Mexican Fruit Empanadas Recipe
Most of us are familiar with savory empanadas – delicious pastries stuffed with beef and egg, chicken or vegetables. However, dessert empanadas can be equally satisfying. The following dessert empanada recipe uses fruit and cinnamon for a delicious flavor. You can substitute the fruit preserves for many different kinds of fruit and feel free to experiment with this recipe.
Caramel apple empanadas are very tasty as well. You will also find that the dough, made from butter, flour, and cream cheese, goes perfectly with the sweet filling. Empanadas can be served as they are, either for a dessert, breakfast dish, or sweet afternoon snack, or with some whipped cream, ice cream, or chocolate sauce for an indulgent treat. You can wrap the unbaked dough and freeze it if you want to make extra. In addition, the baked empanadas can be frozen too.
Fruity and Fabulous
The following recipe shows you step by step how to make these fabulous little snacks. You will need to chill the dough overnight so plan these ahead. Butter, cream cheese and flour are combined to make your dough. Once you have chilled it, it is time to make your empanada crusts, so let it come to room temperature first and then roll it out and cut the shapes, using a cookie cutter to make sure they are all the same shape and size.
Your filling is going to be fruit preserves and of course you have total control over which brand and flavor you use, so whether you want to use peach, summer berry or another kind of preserves, you can be guaranteed of having plenty of flavor in your empanadas. Bake them until they are golden brown and cooked through, and then you can roll them in a mixture of powdered sugar and cinnamon to finish them off perfectly.
These make a fantastic dessert, perhaps served hot from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some whipped cream on top, or you can enjoy one as a snack any time of the day. You could even have a couple with your morning coffee when you wake up, to start your day off on the right note. Whether you eat these hot, warm or cold, there is no doubt the flavor will impress you so much.
- 3 oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 cup fruit preserves
- 1 cup sifted all purpose flour
- Powdered sugar
- Cream the butter with the cream cheese, then beat in the flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap or foil.
- Chill it overnight or for up to a week.
- Take the dough ball out of the refrigerator and leave it for half an hour to reach room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll the dough out thinly and cut disks with a 3 or 4 inch cookie cutter.
- Put a spoonful of preserves in the middle of each one, moistening the edges with some water.
- Fold the dough disks over and press the moistened edges together.
- Bake for about 18 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet then roll the empanadas in powdered sugar mixed with ground cinnamon.
Fruit empanadas are versatile enough to be breakfast, a snack, a dessert, or simply a treat whenever you are in the mood for some south of the border inspired food. The photo shows the fresh golden brown appeal of these lovely little bites, and you might like to make them for a special occasion. Freshly made pastry goods are always good and you really cannot beat the appeal of these. They are really fantastic and they are also very simple to make. Whether or not you have made empanadas before you will find this recipe easy and you will love the flavors they boast.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cinco de Mayo Gourmet Mexican Salad Platter May 5, 2015
- We’re Having a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta May 5, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Doce May 4, 2015
- Black Bean and Avocado Salsa with 2 Kinds of Corn May 4, 2015
- Vegetarian Nachos with Homemade Chips May 3, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Once May 3, 2015
- Skirt Steak with Tequila and Lime May 2, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Diez May 2, 2015
- Authentic Chiapas Pork Empanadas May 1, 2015
- Albondigas in Sauce – Mexican Meatballs May 1, 2015
- Home (115635 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (115491 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (61906 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (44842 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (33554 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29553 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23332 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22558 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17996 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (15910 Views)