Breakfast Burrito with Bacon and Potato
A burrito is basically a filled tortilla rolled up in a specific way. Burritos can be enjoyed for lunch, dinner, as a snack, or even for breakfast, depending on the filling you decide to use. This dish consists of a wheat flour tortilla which is folded or wrapped around a filling. A burrito completely encloses the filling, unlike a tortilla which is served flat or in a U-shape with the filling exposed. You can see how this recipe is really filling and tasty, and how burritos can make a very flavorful and satisfying evening meal, perhaps accompanied by one or two sides.
The tortilla is typically steamed or lightly grilled to make it soft, and meat with refried beans is the usual filling in Mexico although burrito recipes vary widely in the United States. You can find Mexican rice or plain rice in burritos here, along with lettuce, beans or refried beans, salsa, guacamole, cheese, sour cream, and meat. Burrito is Spanish for ‘little donkey’ and one explanation for the name is how a burrito looks a bit like the bedrolls and packs donkeys used to carry.
The Mesoamericans in Mexico used tortillas to wrap foods like avocado, squash, mushrooms, chilies, and tomatoes, before the modern burrito was developed. The Puebla people in the Southwest US would fill tortillas with meat and beans, and the modern style of burrito is actually not all that different. The tortilla is the vehicle for the filling. This snack is a traditional food in Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, where roadside stands and restaurants do a roaring trade. Villa Ahumada and other Northern Mexican towns are also famous for burritos.
There are lots of different fillings to choose from, but one particularly appealing burrito has to be the breakfast burrito, not only because it is quick and easy to put together but also because the flavor is amazing, and the tortilla wrapped around the filling means you can eat it on the go if you are in a rush. Just put your prepared, cooked filling on the tortilla, roll it up burrito-style, wrap it in aluminum foil, and you have a tasty breakfast to enjoy on the move, perhaps on your way to work. Our recipe has bacon, potatoes, cheese, eggs and seasonings, for maximum flavor appeal. If you have some leftover chicken breast or steak, just chop it and add it when you add the cheese so it can warm up.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 diced red potato
- 3 eggs
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1⅛ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 2 bacon strips
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 flour tortillas
- Chili powder or cayenne pepper (optional)
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the potato, 1 teaspoon of the salt, ½ teaspoon of the pepper, and the oregano.
- Cook for 5 minutes over a high heat, or until browned, stirring often.
- Turn the heat down to medium-high and add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook the potatoes for 10 minutes or until tender, then set them to one side.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon in another skillet until crispy, then let it cool and crumble it.
- Add the crumbled bacon to a skillet with a cup of the potatoes and heat it through.
- Add ⅛ teaspoon of salt and ¼ of pepper.
- You can also add a pinch of chili powder or cayenne if you want spice, but this is optional.
- Break the eggs into the bacon and potato mixture and mix them in until they are nearly cooked through.
- Take this mixture off the heat and mix in about ¾ of the cheese.
- Microwave the tortillas for 15 seconds or until warm.
- Lay each one flat on a plate and divide the egg, bacon and potato mixture between them.
- Add the rest of the cheese on top and roll them closed.
- Serve these tasty burritos for breakfast with your favorite fruit on the side.
- Most people like to serve a tangy tomato salsa on the side too.
Breakfast burritos can be made with any filling you wish, although we have chosen potatoes, eggs, cheese, and bacon for this particular recipe. The filling is prepared and then it is time to warm your tortillas and roll them up. You now have a delicious, hot breakfast treat, which is beautiful paired with your favorite salsa, along with some fresh fruit – maybe peach or strawberries. This makes a filling, satisfying breakfast which will keep you full until lunchtime. Whether you are getting tired of your usual daily breakfast or you are just in the mood for a brand new flavor, this recipe is a real winner.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117392 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17657 Views)