Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken
Ah, burritos; the ever popular, incredibly versatile Mexican wrap sandwich. Their very nature lends this dish to a great many variations, nearly all of which have a large and devoted audience.
There are a lot of possibilities to explore with burritos; but this particular recipe is a perennial favorite, the burrito suizo (literally, “Swiss burrito”). This variation is filled with chicken and served topped with salsa and sour cream. It is a little too messy to eat on the go, but definitely a great way to enjoy a burrito.
Other than cooking the chicken, this is a quick and easy recipe to prepare. If you already have some cooked chicken on hand, then this can be a quick meal indeed. The amount of work which goes into putting things together is minimal and of course, a great burrito is definitely a reward well worth a little bit of effort. A little chicken, a little bit of black beans, some salsa, and spices are all it takes to make a burrito, which is much more than the sum of its parts.
The reason this can be known as a ‘Swiss burrito’ is the cream on top. Although this is an optional garnish, it suits the burrito and is a worthwhile addition. The onions and garlic are sautéed first, then you can add the chicken, beans and spices. Warm your tortillas, add the filling, and roll them up, topped with cheese and salsa.
Add some sour cream to finish these off in the ‘Swiss’ style (or omit it if you prefer) and they are ready to serve. These are tasty and aromatic, and they are a nice way of using up leftover cooked chicken.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 12 oz. cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 12 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, diced (adjust to taste)
- 4-8 tortillas (8" or 9" tortillas are best)
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Green salsa, to taste
- Sour cream (if desired)
- Heat oil and sauté onions and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring regularly.
- Once the onions turn translucent (about 3 minutes), add the chicken, beans, cumin and jalapeno and continue cooking until the chicken and beans are heated through and the jalapenos begin to turn a little tender, another 2-3 minutes.
- Warm the tortillas over a gas flame (or on a hot skillet, if you have an electric stove; they can also be warmed in a microwave oven if desired).
- Add about ½ cup of filling to each burrito and top with a little cheese and salsa. Fold up the burritos and top with more salsa and a little sour cream, if desired.
- (Serves 4 (or eight, if you’re serving a side dish alongside the burritos))
Chicken and black bean burrito suizo; topped with tangy green salsa and cool, creamy sour cream, this is a burrito, which is sure to win fans everywhere it,’s served. Filled with a savory mixture of chicken, black beans, onions, garlic and spicy jalapeno peppers, this burrito is a winner, hands-down. This particular chicken burrito recipe makes enough for everyone to have seconds, but feel free to double the recipe (or halve, as the case may be) depending on how many people you will be serving. Do not be too surprised if everyone takes you up on a second helping – burritos have a way of disappearing, especially a burrito this good!
14 Responses to Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119403 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117384 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30369 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)