Fried Beef Empanada Recipe
Empanadas are a staple in Mexico and you can get savory empanadas such as chicken or beef and sweet ones such as pumpkin or apple. Empanadas can be baked or fried but fried empanadas, like in the following recipe, are especially crunchy and tasty. These Mexican beef empanadas feature egg, spices, and raisins. Serve empanadas hot, warm, or chilled. They are good for boxed lunches and you can even eat one for breakfast or as a snack.
When making empanadas it is nice to make the pastry yourself, as well as the filling. Do not worry if you have not made pastry before because it is easy enough to do. The raisins, egg, beef, and other ingredients used for the filling are delicious too. Try eating just one of these empanadas – you will definitely want another! One is never enough because these are so delicious.
Empanadas from Chile are similar but Mexican empanadas are more likely to be spiced up with hot chili powder. The oregano also adds flavor. If you like traditional Mexican recipes, try making these delicious beef empanadas for your family. They will definitely love them and ask you to make them again and again.
This recipe takes you step-by-step through how to make the pastry first, and you will be pleased just how easy this is to do. While the pastry is chilling you can start to prepare the filling, and this is done by cooking the onion, beef and seasonings.
Add the other ingredients necessary to make the filling, which is then distributed between the pastry rounds. These are fried until crispy. Frying not only ensures a crunchy exterior but it also means you can cook these quicker than if you were to use the oven. They will crisp up a bit in the oven (and yes, you can bake them if you prefer) but frying them makes them super-crispy, and that is just the way we love these!
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon oregano
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1 quart oil for frying
- Stir the salt and flour together. Cut in the shortening by pinching in small bits with your fingers until you get a mixture like coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the water with a fork, a little at a time, until the mixture forms a ball. You might not need all the water.
- Pat the dough into a ball and flatten it slightly. Wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for an hour.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over a medium heat and add the onion. Fry until tender. Crumble in the ground beef; add the seasonings, spices, and cook, stirring often, until the beef is browned all over.
- Drain any excess grease and stir in the vinegar and raisins.
- Refrigerate until cold, and then stir in the chopped eggs. Form the dough into 2-inch balls (you should get 24) and roll each one out on a floured surface to make a thin circle.
- Divide the meat mixture between the 24 dough circles and fold each one into a half moon shape, pinching the edges with your fingers to seal.
- Heat the quart of oil to 365 degrees F and cook two or 3 empanadas at once.
- Cook them for about 5 minutes, turning once to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
These hot, crispy empanadas look really appetizing and deep frying them gives them an extra crunchy texture on the outside. Enjoy these beef empanadas hot from the pan with your favorite beverage. If you are having a buffet, empanadas make good appetizers because of their diminutive size. It also does not matter too much if they cool down a bit because they are good like that too. There are lots of types of empanadas you can make but spicy beef empanadas are one of the nicest varieties and this is a simple recipe for beef empanadas, which gives fantastic results.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119456 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117462 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63262 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45801 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34665 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30405 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24141 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23461 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18991 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17727 Views)