How to Make Cheese Enchiladas
One of many people’s favorite Mexican dishes is the enchilada. Literally meaning, “seasoned with chile,” this is a spicy, savory dish which offer cooks a lot of flexibility. The basic formula of enchiladas is corn (or sometimes flour, though this is less common) tortillas stuffed with meat, cheese or vegetables, rolled up and topped with a spicy, chili-enriched tomato sauce.
Within these limits, you are free to make changes to the formula as you like, adding whatever fillings you prefer. One of the most popular fillings for enchiladas is of course beef, as in this recipe. This easy beef and cheese enchiladas recipe takes relatively little time to prepare and provides you with a satisfying meal which will become a family favorite.
Do not be intimidated if you have never made enchiladas before. It is actually no more difficult to do than making a casserole and in fact, it can be a lot easier. This recipe is especially simple, since it substitutes the usual homemade spicy tomato and chili sauce with salsa, which is a perfectly fine substitute, especially if you are in a rush.
Enchiladas are a lot easier to make than you might think and they are always a winner with your dinner guests. As you see here, you can make these simple beef and cheese enchiladas in about 30 minutes – but everyone at your table will think you spent hours making them! Easy or not, this is a great recipe for a weeknight dinner or weekend lunch which gives you plenty of room to add other ingredients as you see fit. Feel free to use more salsa, more cheese, less cheese, make your own sauce; it’s all up to you, but this enchilada recipe is great just as it is too.
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow or red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper, minced
- 2 cups salsa, your choice
- ½ cup sharp cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, shredded (divided)
- 8 corn tortillas (flour tortillas may be substituted if you like)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Oil for sautéing
- Start by heating a little oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and preheating the oven to 425 degrees.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion, bell pepper and jalapeno or Serrano and cook, stirring regularly until the onion starts to turn translucent and the peppers are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and chopped cilantro and cook until browned.
- Warm the tortillas over a flame or in a microwave and fill each with the beef mixture and one half of the shredded cheese.
- Add a little salsa to each and roll up the tortillas, laying them in a baking dish.
- Top with the remaining cheese and salsa and bake, uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and begins to brown slightly.
- Remove from the oven, allow to stand for a few minutes. Serve hot with salsa, Mexican rice or the side dishes of your choice.
Cheese enchiladas are a favorite Mexican meal idea. Served alongside a fresh green salad or, if you prefer, Mexican rice and corn on the cob, these make a hearty and filling dinner for the whole family. You can tell from the photo just how hearty and filling these are going to be, and you will also be pleasantly surprised to discover how easy these are to make. Enchiladas are a favorite in Mexico, and they are suitable for any occasion from a casual family supper to a Cinco de Mayo party or special occasion.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Tres April 25, 2015
- Superfood Quesadillas with Pumpkin and Kale April 25, 2015
- Pork Pasilla Tamales April 24, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Dos April 24, 2015
- Una Cerveza con Limon April 23, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Uno April 23, 2015
- Crunchy Mayan Pork Tostada Cup Appetizers April 22, 2015
- 5 Secret Copycat Mexican Recipes April 22, 2015
- 4 Unusual Mexican Food Ideas April 21, 2015
- Summer Mexican Pizza with Fresh Toppings April 21, 2015
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (114931 Views)
- Home (114319 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (61633 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (44692 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (33367 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29398 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23165 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22378 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17812 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (15646 Views)