An Easy Mexican Beef Casserole Recipe
The word “casserole” actually refers to the baking dish used, rather than what is inside it, which means there are lots of different casserole recipes, rather than one way to make it, which varies slightly from dish to dish. This is an easy Mexican beef casserole recipe, which is prepared in layers and then baked for half an hour, resulting in a tasty casserole with bubbling cheese on top.
If you are feeding a family, you can double the ingredients and use two casserole dishes or a larger, deeper one. Mexican ground beef casseroles are a traditional Mexican food. This is an easy dish to make because once you have fried the beef and onion, you just need to arrange the ingredients in a casserole dish and bake it for half an hour.
Mexican ground beef casseroles like this one make a great dinner if you are looking for an alternative to meatloaf or another ground beef recipe. Beef is a popular meat in Mexico and this Mexican beef casserole is a real winner. The cheese, chilies, corn chips and other typically Mexican ingredients give it a wonderful flavor and texture and this recipe is hearty and filling.
This dish teams a variety of typical south of the border ingredients, such as beef, cheese, onion, chilies, corn chips, and tortillas, with cheese and chicken soups and milk, so if you imagine all those flavors together, you will see this dish is going to be meaty, creamy and slightly spicy, a good way of describing comfort food. Casserole is a kind of comfort food, especially when served piping hot from the oven on a chilly fall or winter evening. After assembling this casserole you need to bake it in the oven for half an hour, so use that time to prepare a side dish, perhaps a fresh salad or some corn on the cob to enjoy with the casserole. Then you can serve everything together at once.
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 can cheese soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 3 ½ ounces diced green chili peppers
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 tortillas, each torn in 6 pieces
- Handful of corn chips
- Handful of cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Cook the chili peppers, onion and beef in a large pan until the beef is browned.
- Drain the excess fat. Add the soups and evaporated milk and bring to the boil.
- Grease an 11 x 13 inch casserole dish (or equivalent round dish) with cooking oil and layer the ingredients, so you will have a layer of tortillas, cheese, corn chips, and beef.
- Repeat these layers, ending with beef and finish with a sprinkling of cheese.
- Bake this Mexican casserole recipe for 30 minutes; making sure the cheese on top does not burn.
- The ingredients are already cooked so when the casserole is hot through, it is ready to serve.
- You can adapt this recipe any way you like, perhaps adding baked beans or diced carrot for some extra nutritional goodness!
This creamy beef and cheese casserole is gently spiced and makes a lovely winter warmer. Serve it with your favorite Mexican side dishes and enjoy the authentic south of the border flavors it offers. Everyone in the family will enjoy this creamy casserole, and you will love how easy it is to put together. You probably already have most of the ingredients for it. Bake it in the oven for half an hour and during that time you can make any sides you want. If you have some left, you can microwave it the following day and treat yourself to a Mexican lunch. Some would say it is even nicer the next day.
Leave a Reply
- Cinco de Mayo Gourmet Mexican Salad Platter May 5, 2015
- We’re Having a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta May 5, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Doce May 4, 2015
- Black Bean and Avocado Salsa with 2 Kinds of Corn May 4, 2015
- Vegetarian Nachos with Homemade Chips May 3, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Once May 3, 2015
- Skirt Steak with Tequila and Lime May 2, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Diez May 2, 2015
- Authentic Chiapas Pork Empanadas May 1, 2015
- Albondigas in Sauce – Mexican Meatballs May 1, 2015
- Home (117627 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (115954 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (62254 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45044 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (33783 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29776 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23517 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22790 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18238 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (16193 Views)