Mexican Chicken Casserole
Mexican chicken casserole is one of my favorite Mexican dishes to cook. The family just loves this casserole and there are never any left overs. Over the years I have learned that with Mexican food, substitutions are very easy and always add a different flavor to what you are cooking, so don’t be afraid to add your favorite cheese, meat or other ingredients to spice it up to your flavor. There are several variations of Mexican chicken casseroles. This is one of the most popular recipes, so I hope that you enjoy this version.
A wonderful south of the border taste for your family is what this Mexican chicken casserole will offer you. Tender chicken breast, tomatoes, and green chilies go into it. Add melted American cheese and you have a delicious creamy Mexican chicken casserole that the entire family will love to eat.
This meal is so easy to prepare that even your teenage apprentice cook can prepare it with ease. So, take the night off, let the teens prepare dinner and wait until you taste this superbly creamy and tasty casserole.
Serve this Mexican chicken casserole with cornbread for a delightful easy dinner. For a great dessert make Mexican flan and watch this meal be devoured by a very appreciative family. A great beverage to serve with this meal is an easy fruit punch with fresh fruit, such as maraschino cherries and pineapple tidbits over ice – refreshing, fruity, ice cold and just delicious. No matter how you serve this very tasty and creamy Mexican chicken casserole , you will be glad you chose to make it.
- 3 or 4 chicken breasts
- 10½ oz can cheddar cheese soup
- 10½ oz can cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz salsa
- Big package nacho cheese flavor Doritos, crushed
- 8 oz Mexican-blend cheese
- 8 oz shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- Jalapeno slices or sliced ripe olives, for garnish (optional)
- Gently simmer the chicken until it is white all the way through with no pink remaining, then pull it apart using 2 forks.
- Keep the broth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the soups, ⅔ of the salsa, and the chilies together.
- In a 13 x 9 inch pan, layer half of the doritos, half the chicken, half the sauce, and then half the cheese.
- Pour about ¼ cup of the broth on top, then repeat the layers, ending with cheese.
- Add the sliced jalapenos or olive slices on top (or omit this step if you prefer).
- Drizzle the remaining salsa on top and bake for half an hour.
- Serve hot.
Mexican Chicken Casserole Substitutions
Add Some Variety to the Dish
To spice up your Mexican chicken casserole recipe, why not add a little extra salsa (I used 1 1/2 cups) and extra chicken? I used 6 chicken breasts in mine, to make it go further. When cooking most foods you wouldn’t want to change up the recipes to much, but when cooking Mexican chicken casserole there are many different things you can change. Try using tortilla shells instead of Doritos or even try a different flavor of chip like Cool Ranch nacho flavor. You can also change the type of cheese that you use.Try adding some Mexican beans to it, Small changes can make this casserole recipe a big hit at your house come dinnertime.
There are so many chicken casserole recipes out there – it can be really hard to pick which one to make! What this one has in its favor though is not only convenience, because it is easy to make, but also the flavor. Combining the crunch of Doritos, the creaminess of the soups and cheese, and the tasty chicken and chilies, this casserole offers something for everyone. The photo gives you a good idea of what the finished casserole will look like, and you can serve your favorite green vegetables with it, or some salad leaves on the side if you like.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded and edited: 03-31-16
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117384 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30369 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)