Authentic Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
If you enjoy traditional Mexican recipes, you will enjoy this Mexican shrimp cocktail recipe. In Mexico, shrimp cocktail is made out of a spicy broth-like Mexican shrimp cocktail sauce, rather than a bed of lettuce and shrimps in dressing.
These shrimp cocktails are served in ice cream soda glasses so you can see the delicious layers. This Mexican shrimp cocktail recipe contains juicy shrimp, which are poached with onion, celery, garlic and more for a fragrant flavor. The broth is spiced and enhanced with chili, tomato, onion and more and this delicious recipe for Mexican shrimp cocktail is served with lime and guacamole. This is a colorful and appetizing dish. You can serve it as an appetizer or for lunch or a snack, or even a light dinner with some tortillas on the side.
Serve this recipe for Mexican shrimp cocktail with lime halves, diced avocado, sea salt, a dish of chopped cilantro, a dish of minced Serrano chili and a hot sauce if you want to be authentic. Saltine crackers or tortilla chips are good for dipping and you can rub lime juice on them before dipping if you like. Do not forget the ice cold margarita on the side!
There are perhaps more ingredients in this recipe than you are used to seeing in a shrimp cocktail. You will need to poach the shrimp with celery, garlic, cilantro and other ingredients. Those items are just to add flavor to the shrimp as they cook. The cocktail sauce blends hot chili, tomato, lime juice and more, for a piquant, aromatic result. Guacamole and lime are perfect to garnish the dish, although a dollop of sour cream can also work, especially if you want something cooling along with the spiced cocktail sauce. This is a very authentic Mexican recipe and if you want to try shrimp cocktail Mexican style, this is the recipe you should use.
- 48 fresh, large shrimp with shells on
- 1 stick celery with leaves on
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1 white onion, peeled
- 1 carrot, washed but unpeeled
- 1 serrano chili, split from tip nearly to stem
- 5 stems of cilantro
- Broth left over from poaching the shrimp
- 1 ½ cups tomato catsup
- Sea salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons minced Roma tomato
- 4 tablespoons minced cucumber
- 4 tablespoons minced white onion
- ½ teaspoon minced serrano chili
- 4 stems cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ cup guacamole
- 4 thick slices of lime
- Poach the shrimp in simmering water with all the other poaching ingredients until the shrimp are pink but still very tender.
- Discard the vegetables but keep the poaching liquid.
- Shell the shrimp and chill them.
- To serve, mix the catsup with the reserved poaching liquid, the sea salt, and a squeeze of fresh limejuice.
- Divide the onion, tomato, and cucumber between 4 serving glasses and do the same with the serrano chili and cilantro.
- Put 12 shrimp in each glass and pour the sauce over the top to cover everything.
- Garnish each glass with a lime wedge and add a dollop of guacamole on top of the shrimp cocktail.
This is a classic dish in Mexico and this is also the best Mexican shrimp cocktail recipe to make if you want to experience the authentic flavor of this famous recipe. You can raise or lower the spice level, depending on personal preference. Shrimp is a wonderful ingredient to use in Mexican food recipe and Mexicans who live in the coastal areas of Mexico use plenty of fish and seafood in their cooking. This includes for stews, taco and burrito fillings, Mexican salad recipes and lots more. This Mexican shrimp cocktail recipe looks very impressive but is really not difficult to prepare.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119082 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (116988 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (62920 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45558 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34387 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30205 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23939 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23273 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18741 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17211 Views)