How to Make Mexican Pizza
Pizza may not be a Mexican invention, but that does not mean that it is not popular in Mexico. As you could probably guess, pizza is very popular in Mexico, just as it is just about everywhere else in the world.
Every country has its own spin on pizza, mostly in terms of the kinds of toppings that you will see on the finished pie. In Mexico, this sometimes means chorizo rather than Italian-style sausage, jalapenos and other chili peppers. Of course, there are also ingredients which you will find on pizzas on both sides of the border, like onion, olives, bell peppers and so on.
This recipe may seem a little unusual to most Americans since it does not include cheese as an ingredient. You are free to add it if you like, but give this recipe a try and you may appreciate how the absence of cheese allows the flavors of the other ingredients to stand out more.
The homemade crust gives this pizza a gourmet foundation, and you can make the crust easily using yeast, sugar, water, flour and salt. Once the dough is rolled out you are ready to add the toppings and that is when you can get creative, following the recipe to the letter, adapting it a bit, or else thinking up some new ideas for toppings.
The recipe suggests chorizo, bell pepper, onion and olives, as well as some hot chili if you like, but consider other fresh veggies such as mushrooms, or add some drained corn kernels or kidney beans if you like, to increase the Mexican aspect of the dish. You can also add some avocado slices to the cooked pizza slices for a contrasting flavor, or scatter some cilantro on there.
- 1 envelope of dry yeast
- ¼ teaspoon of sugar
- ¾ cup of lukewarm water
- 1 ¾ cups of unbleached plain flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Sauce – your choice (use premade or your own favorite recipe)
- ½ lb chorizo, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced small
- Green olives with pimentos, sliced
- Sliced jalapeno peppers (optional)
- Combine yeast, sugar, and warm water, stirring to mix.
- Allow to rest for 5 – 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Once the yeast mixture has foamed up, add to the flour and salt, stirring until a ball forms.
- Knead the dough until it forms a smooth, elastic ball.
- Roll out to form a 12? circle and place in a pizza pan or on a pizza stone.
- Top with sauce, sliced chorizo, peppers, onions, and olives.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 500 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes or until pizza reaches desired doneness.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Pizza is one of those things which is so easy to make that when you do prepare it at home, you often wonder why people do not make their own pizza more often. We all feel too tired to make pizza (or perhaps just not like cooking) sometimes, so you won’t be putting your local pizzeria out of business by making your own from time to time. It is a rewarding thing to do and when you combine pizza with the flavors of Mexican cuisine as in this Mexican pizza recipe, the end result can be remarkable.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (118907 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (116755 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (62735 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45431 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34237 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30106 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23841 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23174 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18616 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (16949 Views)