Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish
Rice is a staple in Mexican food recipes and this Mexican rice recipe combines the flavors of garlic, cumin, tomato, chicken broth and more for a delicious Mexican rice side dish, which can be served alongside Mexican casserole or with tacos or fajitas for example. This traditional Mexican rice recipe also makes a nice lunchtime snack.
The secret to fluffy rice is to use long grain white rice and make sure the water is hot when you add it. Leave the rice for 10 minutes before serving it, for maximum fluffiness! Fluffy rice is best with authentic Mexican rice recipes. In addition, a good quality chicken broth really makes the difference in this Mexican recipe. It is always better to use homemade chicken broth if you have some. A lot of home cooks like to freeze chicken broth in small portions, or even use an ice cube tray to make tablespoon-size portions, and then thaw them when needed. If you are in a rush though, you can always use a bouillon cube to make instant chicken broth. The flavor will not be as fresh but if you do not mind sacrificing a little of the flavor to save some time, that would be a viable substitution. In the recipe you need either the chicken broth or a tablespoon of bouillon powder, to add some nice chicken flavor to the dish.
The garlic, onion, tomato and spices goes beautifully with the rice and this is an incredibly easy dish to cook because you just brown some of the ingredients, then add the rest and leave it to cook. You can eat this cold the following day or heat it back up if there is any left over.
Authentic Mexican rice recipes like this one go well with nearly any Mexican entrée or you can serve it at a buffet, either hot or chilled. Add more chili to the recipe if you want it to be spicier.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cold water
- ½ onion
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth or 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder dissolved in 1 cup hot water
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- Roma tomato, chopped into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (or seeds crushed into powder)
- 1 chili pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Put the oil into a medium saucepan and heat to a medium temperature. Add the rice and brown it in the oil while stirring.
- Add the garlic when the rice is nearly browned. Add the water, then the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Cover, with a small air escape, and turn the heat down to medium low.
- Cook the rice for 20 to 30 minutes but check after 20 to see if it is ready.
- You do not need to stir the rice or lift the lid while it cooks. It is ready when the rice is fluffy, all the water is gone, and the grains are split open (because of the browning).
- If it is still sauce-like rather than dry, cook a few minutes more. Adjust the spices and serve hot as a side dish with tacos, enchiladas, or burritos. You can also eat this dish by itself as a snack.
You can see in the picture how moist and succulent the rice is, and perhaps you can imagine how the fresh flavors of garlic, tomatoes and chili are going to enhance this simple side dish. Mexican rice goes with all kinds of meat, poultry and fish dishes, and it also makes a nice snack just eaten by itself. In this photo the rice is served with tacos, and that is just one option. Try serving Mexican rice with anything from fajitas to grilled fish. If you want to add some finely chopped vegetables for color and nutrients, that is fine, but it is also great without them.
Current average ratings.
4 Responses to Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish
Leave a Reply
- Mexican Rice Pudding - Receta de Arroz con Leche
- Easy Homemade Tomato Salsa Recipe
- One of the Best Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Vanilla Mexican Sweet Bread
- Classic Mexican Flan
- Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- Traditional Recipe for Turkey Tamales
- Rich Mexican Beef Soup with Chipotle Chili
- Stuffed Poblano Pepper Recipe With Cream Sauce
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe
- Home (78508 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (68685 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (43847 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (40310 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (29041 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (20437 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (17517 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (14759 Views)
- Classic Mexican Flan (12937 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (12625 Views)