Receta de Cortadillo al Estilo Monterrey
If you are looking for a cortadillo recipe, or receta de cortadillo al estilo monterrey, you are going to love this. Steak is marinated overnight in a garlic and spice mixture to prepare it for this tasty dish, then it is cooked with tomatoes, onions and more, to make a richly flavored beef dish, which goes perfectly with the Mexican roast potatoes served alongside it.
The potatoes are flavored with cumin, oregano, cayenne, lime juice and more, to give them an authentic Mexican flavor. You can also add a little Dijon mustard to the potato mixture if you want, although that is not quite so traditional! You can use any cut of steak for making this cortadillo recipe but choose a reasonable quality steak because the marinade just flavors it, rather than tenderizing it, and the steak is stir fried rather than slow cooked, so a stewing or braising steak will not work. You need something tender like a fillet steak or a similar cut.
This receta de cortadilla al estilo monterrey is perfect for dinner because the juicy meat goes so well with the roasted potatoes. Serve some vegetables on the side or even refried beans or a Mexican salad recipe.
You will probably already have most of the ingredients, so just pick up what you do not have, and you can get ready to make this Mexican dish. A spice rub is applied all over the steak and then you can let it sit and marinate. The spicy flavors will penetrate into the meat.
The meat is cooked and you can also roast some potatoes in the oven. These are not just ordinary roast potatoes either, because they are flavored with herbs, spices and lime juice to add a definitive south of the border twist to the side dish. This meat and potatoes dish is a complete meal by itself but add some veggies if you wish to add more nutrients as well as a splash of color. Something simple flavored would be best since both the meat and the roast potatoes are spiced.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 crushed cloves garlic plus 2 finely chopped cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 lbs cubed fillet steak
- 2 ½ lbs peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 3 canned chipotle chilies
- 2 finely chopped green chilies
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 4 peeled, diced potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 minced clove garlic
- ? teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice from 1 lime
- Combine the black pepper, cumin, crushed garlic and half the salt.
- Rub this mixture all over the steak and let it marinate for 2 to 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine all the roast potatoes ingredients except the lime and potatoes in a jar and shake thoroughly.
- If you do not have a big jar, you can whisk the ingredients instead.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet and fry the onion for 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic and meat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chilies, tomatoes and the rest of the salt, turn the heat down and cook the mixture for 10 minutes, uncovered, or until the meat is tender and the sauce is thick.
- Put the potatoes in a jelly roll pan and toss them with the whisked oil and spice mixture.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over them, then roast for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are done.
- Sprinkle the lime juice over them and add more salt if needed. Serve the cortadillo with the roast potatoes.
This traditional Mexican cortadillo recipe combines flavorful steak with tomatoes, onions, and spices to make a mouthwatering dish. The roast potatoes are flavored with lime juice, spices, and herbs and they are exquisite too. Serve cornbread on the side, if you wish, for soaking up the tasty meat juices. This is a hearty and warming meal and it is perfect for a family dinner or if you have guests coming over. For a true taste of Mexico, it is always preferable to make traditional Mexican recipes than rely on Mexican fast food, which often bears little resemblance to authentic Mexican dishes.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Mexican Dessert Sopapilla Recipe January 24, 2015
- Some Authentic Mexican Recipes January 24, 2015
- Some Traditional Mexican Recipes January 24, 2015
- Types of Salsa January 24, 2015
- Fried Cinnamon Mexican Dessert with Lime Sauce January 23, 2015
- Sweet Meets Savory Corn Dessert Muffins January 22, 2015
- 6-Ingredient Breakfast Burritos January 21, 2015
- Baked Mixed Bean Quesadillas January 19, 2015
- Mexican Dessert Cheesecake with Orange December 21, 2014
- Best Taco Salad Recipe Ever December 8, 2014
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (110579 Views)
- Home (99007 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (59889 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (44184 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (32881 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (27869 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (22402 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22057 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17536 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (15190 Views)