Skirt Steak with Tequila and Lime
You do not have to buy expensive steaks in order to get juicy, flavorful results. Although it is nice to enjoy a T-bone or strip steak every now and then, there are other cuts which need to be prepared differently but offer the same juice and flavor for less than half the price. Take skirt steak, for example. This cut of meat is naturally tough which is why it is usually marinated or slow-cooked to break down those tough fibers, but if you plan ahead, and ensure you have time to marinate it for a few hours, you can expect a really succulent feast.
For our marinade, we are pairing tequila, lime juice, garlic and jalapeño with soy sauce, green onion, sugar, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. This is a very flavorful mixture and the lime juice helps to tenderize the meat. Try to marinate it overnight if you have time or, if not, give it a minimum of 3 hours so the flavors can penetrate into the meat. Near the end of the marinating time, you can prepare the grill or barbeque. Get it hot because this steak just needs a few minutes per side to cook it to perfection.
Grilling is not the only option for marinated skirt steak and if you do not want to fire up the grill for just a few minutes of cooking, or if you are not planning to cook anything else on there, you might prefer to sear the steak in a pan and finish it off under the broiler. Either cooking method is fine, but if you have the barbeque on, then use that because the smoky flavor will really enhance the taste of the steak, adding a new dimension of flavor to it. Served with sliced avocado, corn tortillas and perhaps sour cream, this makes a wonderful meal.
If you prefer not to use tequila, simply leave it out of the recipe, and the flavor will be nearly the same. You can also adjust the amount of jalapeño used in the recipe depending on your palate. This recipes makes enough for 4 main dish servings but go ahead and double it if you are going to be feeding a crowd or if you want to make sure you have leftovers to make tacos, fajitas or another tasty dish the following day or the day after that. Skirt steak is an affordable choice, and marinating it transforms into a tender, succulent treat for any palate.
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 2 green onions (whites and green parts)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 seeded, minced jalapeño
- 1½ lbs skirt or flank steak
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, in 8 wedges
- Sliced jalapeño and/or cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Combine the soy sauce, tequila, green onions, sugar, lime juice, pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and jalapeño.
- Pour this mixture into a Ziploc bag.
- Add the meat to the bag and squeeze out the air.
- Let the meat marinate in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 3 hours.
- Prepare your barbeque or grill, and get it nice and hot.
- Take the steak out of the bag and discard the marinade.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over both sides of the steak.
- Grill it for 3 or 4 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature of the steak is 120 degrees F.
- Take the steak off the grill and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Slice it against the grain and serve with lime wedges, and some jalapeño and/or cilantro too if you want.
What could be more delicious than hot steak straight off the grill, served with Mexican side dishes like corn tortillas, avocado slices and sour cream? This recipe takes skirt steak, an affordable cut of meat, and marinates it in a combination of lime juice, jalapeño, garlic, tequila, and more. Let it marinate overnight for the most intense flavor and most tender meat. Whether you choose to serve this with Mexican rice and a salad, or as part of a larger buffet, there is no doubt everyone will love the incredible, traditional Mexican flavors this steak has to offer.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34624 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)