Spicy Beef Chorizo Dinner
While it is something, which at least for Americans is most strongly associated with Latin American cuisine, chorizo actually has a European pedigree. This spicy sausage originated in Spain or Portugal and came to the New World along with Iberian explorers, who also spread chorizo as far away as Goa in western India.
A favorite of many fans of Mexican food, chorizo is common in both Mexican and other Latin American dishes as well as in Tex-Mex cooking. Though chorizo is most commonly made with pork along with spices, smoked peppers and vinegar (as opposed to the European version, where white wine takes the place of vinegar), there are also chorizos made with beef.
This recipe uses beef chorizo as the centerpiece of the meal; you can serve this spicy, savory sausage along with traditional Mexican accompaniments like refried beans and rice, tortillas and salads or with really anything at all you like. Beef chorizo is also an excellent companion for eggs at breakfast and pairs well with almost any side dish. Think of it as an alternative to hamburgers – one which your friends and family are sure to love.
As well as your beef chorizo you will need onion, garlic, and your choice of flour or corn tortillas. Sauté your onion and garlic until fragrant, then add the chorizo. Side dishes are up to you, but items which contrast with the salty, meaty flavor are a good idea, so choose avocado slices or guacamole, sour cream and salsa too perhaps, and chopped fresh cilantro is always good with Mexican dishes.
Refried beans finish the meal off perfectly, and you will really be able to appreciate the lovely flavor of the chorizo when you prepare it in this way. This meaty dish makes a lovely weeknight treat for the family, and you can keep some tortillas in the refrigerator, a can of refried beans in the pantry and most of the other ingredients so you can rustle this up whenever you are in the mood for it.
- 1 lb beef chorizo
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Tortillas (corn or flour)
- 1 tbsp olive or canola oil for sautéing
- Chopped jalapenos, avocado slices, lime wedges, diced onion, chopped cilantro and salsa, as desired
- There is almost nothing easier than preparing this hearty beef chorizo dinner, especially if you already happen to have some refried beans and tortillas on hand.
- Simply sauté the onions and garlic until translucent (about 2-3 minutes) and add the chorizo, crumbling with a spatula.
- Once the sausage is heated through, you are ready to serve (most brands of chorizo are precooked, but check the instructions to make sure) up a beef chorizo dinner along with all of your favorite sides and garnishes.
This beef chorizo is served on a plate along with warm tortillas, a serving of refried beans, some salsa, and a sprig of cilantro. While refried beans and tortillas are great with this meal, don’t forget to serve up other condiments and garnishes like jalapeno peppers, wedges of lime, sliced avocado and any other side dishes you prefer.
This meal is an exceptionally flexible one, but you will never go wrong by taking your inspiration from the Mexican interpretation of chorizo and adding traditional accompaniments like beans and tortillas. However, if you are feeling adventurous, feel free to experiment – you may find that this beef chorizo dinner goes well with something you may never have expected until inspiration struck. This recipe can easily be multiplied to feed a larger group and makes a great lunch or dinner anytime; and along with some sunny side up or scrambled eggs, an excellent breakfast as well.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (118657 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (116524 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (62568 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45309 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34099 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30004 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23753 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23070 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18493 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (16698 Views)