Cucumber Salsa Recipe
When you really think about it, cucumber seems like a natural candidate for inclusion in a salsa. Their fresh, cooling flavor along with their snappy, crisp texture is a perfect fit for the spicier and more assertive taste of onion, hot peppers, and cilantro. However, while you may not see cucumber included in too many salsas at your local grocer, it is actually quite popular in parts of the Caribbean.
This Cucumber and mango salsa recipe takes its inspiration from a salsa which is quite popular in the nation of Trinidad and Tobago, where it often accompanies seafood dishes. It is just as good with other Caribbean, Latin American, and Mexican dishes, however.
This recipe is a very quick and easy one to prepare and can be thrown together in a couple of minutes before dinner, or made ahead of time so that you have it ready when mealtime rolls around. Either way, it is a refreshing, delicious sweet and savory salsa which is perfect for summer or all year round.
This is one of those salsa which manages to be refreshing and cooling even as it packs a nice amount of heat from the jalapeno peppers; if you’d like to really make it Trinidadian style, you can substitute a habanero pepper for the jalapenos, but keep in mind that this will make for a VERY hot salsa indeed. Either way, it is a wonderful salsa which goes perfectly with seafood and Mexican dishes. Try it with tortilla chips on a warm summer’s day for a real treat. It is not the usual tomato salsa, but it is a magnificent condiment which definitely deserves a try.
Because of the fusion between Mexican cuisine and the Trinidad style of making it, this is a versatile mixture and can be served with either south of the border food or something West Indian. The heat from the salsa is the perfect contrast with the juicy, sweet mango, and the more neutral tasting cucumber. This would be good with chicken or turkey, or you could serve it with chips as a dip if you prefer.
- 3 mangoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced finely
- 1 large white onion, diced finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Start by peeling and dicing the cucumbers; if you prefer, you can also remove the seeds, though this is entirely optional.
- Peel and dice the mangoes, removing their large flat seeds as you go.
- Dice the onion and jalapenos, chop the cilantro, and mince the garlic, combining all of the above in a large bowl.
- Squeeze the limes over the other ingredients and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight.
This spicy mango cucumber salsa makes a refreshing change from tomato salsa, and offers a fruity taste. The addition of minced jalapeño though also means this offers a real kick, but you can change the amount of chilies used because it is you who is going to make this, so you have full control over what goes into it and how much. Serve this with fish or perhaps poultry. Chicken and turkey are always nice with a light, fruity salsa. Leave this to sit for a while before serving so the flavors can blend and round out nicely.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117392 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34626 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17659 Views)