How to Make Mexican Sauces
Although not every Mexican dish needs to be served with a sauce, a lot can be improved by making a sauce or salsa as it is known south of the border. Mexican sauce recipes may be hot or cold, depending what they are being served with, and they can be sweet or savory, mild or spicy, traditionally Mexican or Mexican-inspired.
Mexican Sauce Styles
Three is a Mexican sauce for every occasion, and these recipes range from fresh enchilada sauce to tomatillo and avocado salsa, rich cheese sauce, or even creamy sauces for desserts. Load up with authentic south of the border flavor and add a homemade Mexican sauce to your dish to bring out all the flavors and finish it off well.
Tomatoes are used in a lot of Mexican sauces, and so is cheese although less so in Mexican cuisine than Tex-Mex. Herbs including parsley, oregano or cilantro might make an appearance, and chili peppers are often used, as well as dried chili and other spices which bring out the flavor of Mexican meals.
Sensational Salsa Recipes
You cannot think of Mexican sauces without considering salsas. Although the word ‘salsa’ is Mexican for sauce, and that means any kind of sauce, to us it makes us think of tomato-based mixtures served with chips. Anyone can wander into the store and grab a jar of salsa, but that should be a last resort, because homemade salsa is quick and easy to prepare, and it tastes far better than the commercially prepared kind.
A basic salsa recipe might just feature tomatoes, cilantro, onion and a squeeze of lime juice, but other ingredients which are often added include garlic, corn, black beans, avocado, tomatillo, salt, black pepper, chilies, and lemon juice. Salsa can be served in sandwiches or with a salad, or you can use it to top a grilled fish filet or chicken breast.
Another good thing about making salsa is that you can change the flavor and tweak the ingredients however you wish. Perhaps you want to use mango or another fruit to make a sweet salsa. Pineapple is especially good if you are serving it with fish. You can choose which type of chilies to use and make it mild, medium or spicy, as you wish.
Famous Mexican Sauces
Green sauce is well known in Mexico and this sauce complements a wide variety of Mexican dishes. You can also use it as a nacho dip or chip dip. This sauce includes tomatillos, cilantro, lime juice, chilies and garlic, and can be spooned over an enchilada or used to top tacos or fajitas.
Have you heard of mole sauce? This is a famous sauce because it has so many different ingredients in it. There are lots of different recipes for mole sauce, just like there are a number of recipes for salsa. Mole sauce is thick, rich and tasty. Actually the number of different ones you can make is nearly infinite if you think about all the different tweaks you can make and ways you can prepare it.
Whichever sauce you decide to make, remember Mexican cooks like to use fresh ingredients wherever possible, so ensure you have plenty of healthy veggies and herbs, as well as spices and other seasonings, and you will be able to make an authentic Mexican sauce recipe to complement your south of the border meal.
So, enjoy browsing our extensive collection of the best Mexican sauces and happy cooking!
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119390 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117341 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63183 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45738 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34594 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30348 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24100 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23409 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18922 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17603 Views)