One of the Best Firehouse Chili Recipes
Firehouse chili recipes are known for being generous with the chili peppers. Certainly, the combination of cayenne and cumin, as well as the hefty amount of chili powder this chili contains, is what is responsible for the heat. If you want a warming dish, prepare to be warmed! As well as the heat, this delicious chili recipe contains tomatoes and tomato juice, onion, two kinds of beans and ground beef for an authentic finish.
Serve this tasty chili with the fresh tomatoes and chives like in the photo or perhaps serve it with cornbread muffins, crackers or just a handful of grated cheese on top. Sour cream is also a good idea. You can cook this chili on a very low heat for several hours if that fits in better with your plans. It will come out exactly the same. If you need to pop out for a bit, make sure the heat is very low and the chili is not going to dry out.
This is one of the best firehouse chili recipes if you want something traditionally Mexican, authentic flavored and impressive. You can serve it to your family or make it if some friends are coming over. This can be a casual meal eaten from mugs in front of the TV or served as a sit-down dinner with sour cream, grated cheese and lime wedges all served on the side. Chili is quite versatile like that actually and you can play it up or down, depending on the occasion.
Not only does this offer the piquant flavor associated with firehouse chilies, but there is also plenty of freshness in there from the garlic, tomatoes and chives, as well as juiciness from the meat and tomatoes. Ground beef is showcased in style when you make this chili recipe, and every mouthful will be pleasing.
Of course you can alter the spice factor if this sounds like too much heat for you, and offer hot sauce on the side instead, but this recipe is worth making at least once if you want to fire up both your taste buds and metabolism (yes spicy food can do that) and try something new.
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 oz canned Ro-Tel tomatoes, not drained
- 5 ½ fl oz tomato juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 lb can dark red kidney beans, not drained
- 1 lb can black beans, not drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 chopped fresh tomatoes, for garnish
- 8 chopped chives, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a pot, then brown the onion, garlic and beef together.
- Drain off the fat. Add all the other ingredients and bring the chili to a boil.
- Simmer it covered for an hour and a half or uncovered for half an hour. If it is too thick, you can thin it with some water or additional tomato juice.
- Serve hot, garnished with the fresh tomatoes and chives.
Firehouse chili recipes are great if you like an authentic flavored chili, which is perhaps slightly on the hot side. You can see from the picture that this firehouse chili is rich, colorful and has plenty of liquid, making it ideal for dunking cornbread into. If you find the heat a little hot to handle, you can either reduce the amount of spice you add or serve a generous dollop of sour cream with this firehouse chili recipe, to take the edge off the heat. Sour cream goes great with almost all chili recipes actually.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cinco de Mayo Gourmet Mexican Salad Platter May 5, 2015
- We’re Having a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta May 5, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Doce May 4, 2015
- Black Bean and Avocado Salsa with 2 Kinds of Corn May 4, 2015
- Vegetarian Nachos with Homemade Chips May 3, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Once May 3, 2015
- Skirt Steak with Tequila and Lime May 2, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Diez May 2, 2015
- Authentic Chiapas Pork Empanadas May 1, 2015
- Albondigas in Sauce – Mexican Meatballs May 1, 2015
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (115386 Views)
- Home (115364 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (61862 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (44813 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (33514 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29529 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23302 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22521 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17957 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (15856 Views)