Authentic Caldo Tlalpeno Soup
This delicious authentic Mexican soup recipe is a joy to make and very enjoyable to eat. Caldo tlalpeno soup is typically Mexican and it is a heavenly combination of chicken, beans, avocado, vegetables, chicken broth and more. The chipotle chili in adobe gives the soup a smoky, fiery flavor and the avocado cools it down a bit, providing a welcome contrast.
The word “tlalpeno” derives from tlalpan, which is an ancient word meaning “on the earth.” Tlalpan is now one of the southern districts in Mexico City where this soup is believed to hail from. The village was pre-Hispanic a long time ago, then was a colonial Spanish agricultural town, before becoming part of Mexico City as the city grew and spread out to encompass the outlying villages. This hearty soup is made with ingredients that the locals would have had access to or grown themselves.
This soup is far more traditional (and nicer tasting) if you make your own chicken broth and that applies to nearly all chicken broth-based soups. You can also double the amount of adobo for a smokier and richer flavor. Sometimes caldo tlalpeno contains rice. If you want to use rice, add arroz dorado, which is rice that, is sautéed until golden brown and then simmered in the chicken broth. This flavor adds a richness to the soup.
Traditional Mexican Soup – Caldo Tlalpeno
Summary: coming soon
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 diced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon dried epazote
- 2 peeled, diced carrots
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- Chipotle chilies in adobo, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Put the chicken breast and broth in a large pan and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Skim off any froth that rises to the top.
- Add the parsley and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and take off the bones and skin.
- Shred the chicken and put it to one side. Strain the broth and skim off any fat.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over a moderate heat.
- Add the carrots, onion, and sauté until they start to go brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the garbanzos, epazote, and vegetables and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Cook it on a low simmer for 30 minutes.
- Dice one of the chipotle chilies, add it to the pot with 4 whole chilies, along with a tablespoon of the adobo sauce and the chicken to the soup, and warm it through.
- Add salt if necessary. Serve this soup garnished with diced avocado and fresh cilantro.
- Make sure there is 1 chipotle chili in each bowl.
Preparation time: 1 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Mexican
This delicious caldo tlalpeno soup is very colorful, as you can see from the picture, and it makes a hearty and warming lunch or dinner recipe if you fancy something traditionally Mexican. This is a healthy soup, since it is rich in vegetables and the beans are nutritious too. To bulk this soup up more, you could add some rice or potatoes to it. This is not an overly spicy dish but the chipotle chilies in adobo do give this Mexican soup a bit of a kick to liven it up. If you enjoy making Mexican soup recipes, you will love this authentic caldo tlalpeno soup recipe. It is easy to make and has a great flavor.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Mexican Rice Pudding - Receta de Arroz con Leche
- Easy Homemade Tomato Salsa Recipe
- One of the Best Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Vanilla Mexican Sweet Bread
- Classic Mexican Flan
- Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- Traditional Recipe for Turkey Tamales
- Rich Mexican Beef Soup with Chipotle Chili
- Stuffed Poblano Pepper Recipe With Cream Sauce
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe
- Home (79361 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (69978 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (44463 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (40628 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (29323 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (20667 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (17785 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (14917 Views)
- Classic Mexican Flan (13251 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (12770 Views)