Authentic Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Corn tortillas are used to make this tasty Mexican soup recipe, as well as chicken and onions, pepper and garlic, which are vegetables often used in Mexican food recipes. This chicken tortilla soup is quite quick and easy to make. You just need to prepare the ingredients, cook them on the hob, and bake the tortillas.
Tortillas are used as widely in Mexican cuisine as bread is used in the United States. There are corn tortillas and flour tortillas and these are eaten daily in most Mexican households, and also used to make delicious Mexican food recipes like this chicken tortilla soup.
Cilantro, lime juice, and cumin give this chicken tortilla soup recipe a traditional Mexican food flavor. Ideal for cool winter evenings, this soup is very healthy, as well as warming, and very satisfying. You can vary the amount of jalapeño peppers for a milder or stronger flavor, depending on your preferred taste.
The vegetables are cooked in the chicken broth and then you can add the tomatoes and spices and cook the soup for a bit longer. Keep going until the potatoes are tender because when they are done everything else is going to be done too.
The tortillas meanwhile can crisp up in the oven and then you can use them to garnish the soup along with the cilantro. Add a squeeze of lime juice at this point as well. Serve this for lunch or dinner, or serve smaller bowls of it as an appetizer. The flavor of this soup is absolutely fantastic and the Mexican flavors really shine through. One little sip of this and nobody will have any doubt about which cuisine they are enjoying.
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 corn tortillas, 6 inch
- 3 cups chicken broth, fat skimmed off
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup diced red potatoes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 14 oz can Mexican style stewed tomatoes
- Bring ½ cup of the chicken broth to a boil in a big pan over a medium high heat.
- Add the green bell pepper, onion, potatoes, garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the jalapeno, stewed tomatoes, the cumin, and the rest of the chicken broth and bring the soup to a boil. Let it simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat the tortillas on both sides with spray oil and cut them into thin strips.
- Put them on a baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes or until they are crispy.
- Add the cilantro, lime juice to the soup, and top each bowl of soup with the strips of tortilla.
Mexican chicken tortilla soup is simple to prepare and the flavors are reminiscent of Mexican fare at its very best. The juicy chicken is combined with potatoes, cilantro, jalapeño, lime and more, so this is a colorful soup as well as tasty one. The photo shows all the components of the soup including the strips of tortilla added at the last moment and the juicy pieces of chicken. Chicken broth is used as the base for this soup. If you want to swap that for vegetable broth it will be substantially darker.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cinco de Mayo Gourmet Mexican Salad Platter May 5, 2015
- We’re Having a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta May 5, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Doce May 4, 2015
- Black Bean and Avocado Salsa with 2 Kinds of Corn May 4, 2015
- Vegetarian Nachos with Homemade Chips May 3, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Once May 3, 2015
- Skirt Steak with Tequila and Lime May 2, 2015
- 12 Days of Cinco de Mayo – Day Diez May 2, 2015
- Authentic Chiapas Pork Empanadas May 1, 2015
- Albondigas in Sauce – Mexican Meatballs May 1, 2015
- Home (115631 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (115490 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (61904 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (44840 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (33550 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29550 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23329 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (22556 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17994 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (15907 Views)