Authentic Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Corn tortillas are used to make this tasty Mexican soup recipe, as well as chicken and onions, pepper and garlic, which are vegetables often used in Mexican food recipes. This chicken tortilla soup is quite quick and easy to make. You just need to prepare the ingredients, cook them on the hob, and bake the tortillas.
Tortillas are used as widely in Mexican cuisine as bread is used in the United States. There are corn tortillas and flour tortillas and these are eaten daily in most Mexican households, and also used to make delicious Mexican food recipes like this chicken tortilla soup.
Cilantro, lime juice, and cumin give this chicken tortilla soup recipe a traditional Mexican food flavor. Ideal for cool winter evenings, this soup is very healthy, as well as warming, and very satisfying. You can vary the amount of jalapeño peppers for a milder or stronger flavor, depending on your preferred taste.
The vegetables are cooked in the chicken broth and then you can add the tomatoes and spices and cook the soup for a bit longer. Keep going until the potatoes are tender because when they are done everything else is going to be done too.
The tortillas meanwhile can crisp up in the oven and then you can use them to garnish the soup along with the cilantro. Add a squeeze of lime juice at this point as well. Serve this for lunch or dinner, or serve smaller bowls of it as an appetizer. The flavor of this soup is absolutely fantastic and the Mexican flavors really shine through. One little sip of this and nobody will have any doubt about which cuisine they are enjoying.
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 corn tortillas, 6 inch
- 3 cups chicken broth, fat skimmed off
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup diced red potatoes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 14 oz can Mexican style stewed tomatoes
- Bring ½ cup of the chicken broth to a boil in a big pan over a medium high heat.
- Add the green bell pepper, onion, potatoes, garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the jalapeno, stewed tomatoes, the cumin, and the rest of the chicken broth and bring the soup to a boil. Let it simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat the tortillas on both sides with spray oil and cut them into thin strips.
- Put them on a baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes or until they are crispy.
- Add the cilantro, lime juice to the soup, and top each bowl of soup with the strips of tortilla.
Mexican chicken tortilla soup is simple to prepare and the flavors are reminiscent of Mexican fare at its very best. The juicy chicken is combined with potatoes, cilantro, jalapeño, lime and more, so this is a colorful soup as well as tasty one. The photo shows all the components of the soup including the strips of tortilla added at the last moment and the juicy pieces of chicken. Chicken broth is used as the base for this soup. If you want to swap that for vegetable broth it will be substantially darker.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Caviar Been Dip Texas Style April 11, 2016
- Home (118544 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (116380 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (62479 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45232 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34018 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (29944 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (23703 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23011 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18422 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (16577 Views)