Caldo de Res
Caldo de Res is as simple as its name implies; in case you are not familiar with the dish, the name literally means beef soup, which is just what this hearty and satisfying soup is. Beef, bones and vegetables are simmered together to create an incredibly delicious soup which is as comforting as comfort food gets.
The only hard part about making this Mexican beef soup recipe is the waiting. Like most soups, it relies on lengthy simmering to bring out the full flavors of its ingredients and allow them to blend together into something almost magical.
Caldo de res is the perfect answer for anyone who is tired of making the same old soups. This recipe is different enough to shake up the kitchen routine, yet familiar enough to appeal to just about everyone. Garnished with plenty of onion, jalapeno, and lime, it is a soup which is a meal all by itself.
Mexican Beef Soup
Summary: coming soon
- 2 pounds beef shank, bone in
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 (14 – 16 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 carrots, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 ears corn, husked and cut into thirds
- 1 medium head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- Sliced jalapenos, minced onion, lime wedges, cilantro and radishes, for serving
- Slice the beef into ½” pieces, leaving a little meat on the bone.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a stockpot over medium high heat and brown the meat and bones, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Stir occasionally to prevent burning and cook until the meat is thoroughly browned.
- Add the onion and continue sautéing until the onion starts to brown, then add the broth and diced tomatoes, adding a little water if the liquid doesn’t completely cover the other ingredients.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered for one hour to an hour and fifteen minutes, until the meat is tender.
- Add the water, carrot, corn, and chopped cilantro and simmer for about 20 minutes, then add the cabbage and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve with jalapeno, onion, cilantro, lime wedges, and radishes on the side.
Preparation time: 1 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Mexican
This caldo de res recipe is classic Mexican comfort food which is ideal for any time of year and really, for any meal. People have been known to enjoy a big bowl of caldo de res even at breakfast time, especially on the weekends; though you can feel free to have this hearty beef soup any time you like. It is traditional to serve this soup along with radishes, which are a very common garnish in Mexican cuisine; you will find them offered alongside dishes from soups to tacos to fish dishes. Make sure to include them, they go better with this wonderful beef soup than you may think.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Stuffed Poblano Pepper Recipe With Cream Sauce
- Mexican Rice Pudding - Receta de Arroz con Leche
- One of the Best Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Classic Mexican Flan
- Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- Traditional Recipe for Turkey Tamales
- Rich Mexican Beef Soup with Chipotle Chili
- Easy Homemade Tomato Salsa Recipe
- Vanilla Mexican Sweet Bread
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe
- Home (69766 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (58128 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (38953 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (36980 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (27134 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (18371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (14786 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (13951 Views)
- How to Make Pumpkin Empanadas (11644 Views)
- Classic Mexican Flan (10698 Views)