Hearty Meatless Pozole Verde
Pozole, a hearty soup that predates the arrival of the Spanish in the new world, is eaten all over Mexico and in the southwestern United States. Made with hominy and chilies, and usually served with lime wedges and other fresh vegetables as a garnish, this is a filling and delicious soup which is a meal in itself. Traditionally, pozole is made with pork, but this vegetarian version is every bit as satisfying.
There are many different pozole recipes; this recipe is for pozole verde (green pozole) which is one of the most popular varieties of this traditional Mexican soup. In this recipe, seitan (wheat gluten) and artificial bacon bits (which are made from soy, as it happens) stand in for the pork; seitan takes on a similar texture and the bacon bits add a touch of similar flavor.
The pumpkin seeds (available in Mexican groceries) add a hearty, earthy flavor and the tomatillos add a lively acidity and give the soup its characteristic green color. If you enjoy making soup recipes, you will like this pozole verde receta because it is not hard to put together and it is a typical Mexican dish, which is full of flavor.
The steps for making this are very brief. You simply need to sauté the veggies and herbs in oil, and then add ground pumpkin seeds and wine, and then the other ingredients. Once the soup is cooked through, hot, bubbling and smelling gorgeous, you can serve it garnished with avocado, cabbage, radishes and lime, to add an array of colors as well as a fresh and appealing garnish.
So if you have been looking for an authentic Mexican recipe, something which would impress and satisfy any Mexican cook, and something that is not found on your typical Tex-Mex menu or fast-food style Mexican one, have a go at making your own homemade pozole. Nothng really compares to this dish. It is unique – that’s for sure!
- 1 15 ounce can of hominy
- 1 cup hulled pumpkin seeds, raw
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 2-4 Serrano peppers, diced finely
- ½ pound tomatillos, husked and diced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt, to taste
- ½ lb seitan, chopped
- 2 tsp bacon bits (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Radishes, green cabbage, avocado and lime wedges for garnish (optional)
- Start by sautéing the peppers, tomatillos, onion, seitan, and herbs in olive oil, stirring regularly until the onions are translucent.
- Grind the pumpkin seeds in a food processor or coffee grinder, add along with the wine, and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the alcohol evaporates, then add the water, hominy, and salt and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with thinly sliced avocados, cabbage, radishes and/or lime wedges, if liked.
This vegetarian yet meaty pozole verde is colorful and appetizing. It makes a delicious lunch or appetizer recipe and the ingredients in this pozole verde recipe go together perfectly. If you want to make a traditional Mexican soup recipe, this is a very nice one to choose because pozole verde is so Mexican and combines traditional Mexican ingredients for a really authentic and mouthwatering result. Serve this delicious dish with bread, tortillas, or cornbread. The ground pumpkin seeds and hominy give this soup a really earthy and meaty flavor, which you will love. This hearty and warming soup is ideal for any occasion.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded and edited: 03-31-16
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119405 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117389 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30372 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)