Jalapeño Spiced Mexican Chicken Soup
Chicken soup is loved all over the world, and pretty much everyone has their own recipe for it, so when you have a recipe this good, what reason could there possibly be to improve or adapt it? Although that might be what a lot of you are thinking right now, there is definitely a reason why adding a south of the border twist to classic chicken soup is well worth doing.
Once you have tried the Mexican version of chicken soup you might very well want to keep it as your go-to chicken soup recipe. It offers all the benefits of traditional chicken soup, being warming, hearty, delicious, and nutritious too, but it offers additional flavors as well. Regular chicken soup is comforting and tasty, and this Mexican soup takes those factors up to the next level, adding extra appeal to this already-delicious classic. You will be able to admire how the Mexican herbs and spices work in harmony to take the whole experience to a brand new level.
The cilantro adds a unique fragrant touch. Do not omit it from the recipe because this classic Mexican flavor is one of the main flavors in there and helps balance out the spices. Cumin is also an importation addition because it changes the aroma and taste of the broth. The addition of jalapeño chilies add that special spice and kick which your taste buds will love. If you like chicken soup and you also like Mexican food, you are sure to enjoy this wonderful south of the border take on chicken soup. It is not difficult to make and the flavor is just amazing. If you are still not sure, why not grab the ingredients and try making a batch? It is hard to describe just how tasty this soup is, so why not make it yourself and discover the delicious taste?
The ingredients in this recipe are healthy. As well as the chicken, which is low in fat but high in important protein, you have peas, celery, carrots, garlic, and chilies – all nutritious vegetables which taste great and offer important nutrients. The tomato paste is also nutritious, and then you have the spices. All in all, this is one of the healthiest Mexican soup recipes you can make. What you choose to serve it with is up to you, but avocado, sour cream, cheese, and tortillas turn this soup into a complete, filling meal.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 ½ cup onions, chopped
- ½ cup peas
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 ½ cup carrots, chopped
- 5 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 3 jalapeños, finely chopped
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoons coriander seeds
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Avocado, sour cream, cheese, and tortillas, to serve
- Simmer the chicken breasts in 3 quarts of water to create both cooked chicken and chicken broth.
- Once the chicken is completely cooked, take it out of the water, let it cool, and then shred it.
- Put the shredded chicken in a large bowl.
- Put the broth to one side.
- Heat up a pan with a bit of oil, and toss in the onions and garlic once it is hot enough.
- Add the rest of the veggies (carrots, celery, peas, and jalapeños) and cook for about 10 more minutes.
- The veggies should be softer than before but not completely soft.
- Once they reach this stage, add the tomato paste and chicken broth.
- Add the spices (cumin and ground coriander seed) and cover the pot to let it simmer.
- After about 5 minutes add your chicken and let it all cook together.
- After about 15 more minutes, add the fresh cilantro, salt, and pepper then taste and adjust as needed.
- Cook a little longer.
- Remove the pot from the heat, wait one or two minutes, and then divide between 6 bowls.
- Tortilla chips or tortillas can be served on the side.
- Add the avocado slices, sour cream, cheese, and a sprinkling of cilantro at the very last minute.
- Serve and enjoy.
This makes a great standalone dish or you can offer something else on the side such as nachos, sliced avocado, or anything you want to add to make it into a complete meal. This delicious Mexican soup boasts plenty of characteristic south of the border flavors. Consider adding a little Mexican chorizo to change the flavor or switch the chicken for turkey if you prefer. You can adjust the ingredients to suit your preferences. For example if you are not keen on cilantro simply leave it out. If you prefer a mild soup to a spicy one, cut back on the jalapeño a little. Serve this instead of your usual homemade chicken soup and see which your family prefers. Whichever they like best, there is no doubt Mexican chicken soup makes a flavor-packed change.
More Than 135 Light, Healthy, Delicious and Beautiful Soups in 60 Minutes or Less
by Camilla V. Saulsbury
Boasting more than 150 delicious soup recipes, you will find yourself turning to this hardcover book time and time again, whenever you are in the mood for a classic soup, a way to use up whichever ingredients you want to use, or a brand new idea for a flavorful soup the family is going to love. Try the West African peanut soup if you want something smooth and creamy, or the green chicken chowder for something hearty and warming. Exotic Asian soups, trendy butternut bisque, vegetarian delights, Italian minestrone, and low-fat soups are just some of your options, but there are far too many to list here. Reviewers love this book because it is packed with so many wonderful soup ideas and you are not going to run out of soup options. The recipes are down to earth, delicious and the ingredients are easy to source too. Each recipe has been extensively tested and nothing has more than 10 grams of fat per serving. The soups are categorized so you can quickly find the perfect recipe, whether you are searching by prep time, ingredients, cuisine, or calories. This is a definite must-have if you are into making homemade soups because every single one is tasty, simple to make and sure to become a firm family favorite.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119403 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117384 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34620 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30369 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23427 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18950 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)